1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Plow Package

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Henry0016, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Henry0016

Henry0016 Member

I Have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab Short Bed.It does not have a plow package.I was wondering if it was ok to put a plow on it and if so what size.

Thanks Henry

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

you should be fine putting a plow on this vehicle up to a 8' straight blade i would not recommend a v plow or blizzard 810. also i would check with your dealer and make sure it wont hurt the warranty

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Check with your dealer first of all. Many times all you need to do is talk a mechanic or tech at the dealership and he will tell you what (if anything) needs to be done for it to be up to their specs when it comes to plowing. Its a 3/4 ton, it should not be a problem at all.

Do you have the tow package? If so, you may be all set. You do want to make sure you have an auxilliary transmission cooler, thats important. Everything else should be fine. Give the torsion bars a few turns to help carry the plow. As far as size, it highly depends on what type of plowing you are going to be doing. 8' would be perfect. I have seen 9'6" V-Plows even on crew cab 2500 HD's so you should be all set for whatever you want, as long as you get it cleared through the dealer to make sure that your all set with the warrenty. What engine do you have?
    Good Luck!

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Im most cases plow dealers will not install to a truck without the factory plow package and most dealers will void your warranty if you have a plow put on it with no plow package- talk to your dealer about the differences the plow package adds and if you can plow without it or add them to the truck. May be stiffer springs as well as electrical upgrades.

DO NOT listen to anyone here telling you to go ahead and put on any plow without talking to a dealer- Dodge WILL void warranties on 1500's for adding plows without plow prep so be sure!

5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

My dealer told me that they will honor the warranty except for use and abuse done by snowplowing. The front axle will handle 1k lbs. Believe it or not I too have a forbidden v plow on mine :eek: . Not to mention no plow package :eek: !!! Ready for another shocker? The plow dealer would install anything I wanted! :eek:

6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Issues like this nearly always come down to the dealer. JUSTME is right, without a plow prep package they can DEFINITELY say "no" to warranty repairs.

But from what I know Blade_masters is also right since they legally MUST honor warranty repairs that are NOT caused by snow plowing.

If your dealer respects you as a business person (and your business) and there is no evidence that you beat the P@@@ out of your truck you may have luck getting warranty repairs done on your truck regardless of whether or not it has the plow prep package.

But if he wants to be a hard nose he can always say "you don't have the plow prep package" and then it's up to you to convice him your breakage is not from plowing...

And all the dealers I know will put on whatever they have a mount for and you are willing to pay for! :drinkup:

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

any snow plow dealer willing to install a non recomended plow setup on a truck is risking massive liability suits reguarding damage to the truck because of incorrect equipment installed.

The manufacturer (truck) cannot legally void your warranty for adding parts or midifications to the vehicle that does not directly affect the damaged parts OR if the parts are part of a recall or known issue- however they CAN void a warranty for improper use of a vehicle based on it's design. Check your papers from the sale of the truck- you might find a warranty void clause in there, or in the owner's manual. That's all they need legally. If the Owner's manual says something like "vehicles used in services for which they were not exclusivly specs are excempt from warranty" that means basically No prep no warranty. (or whatever they want it to apply to- like towing a 10K lbs trailer with a 1500) It also depends on the tate you're in and which truck (exactly which truck) you bought. Most states have lemon laws, for example, however they do not apply to commercial vehicles. In my state (and in most) a 2500 class truck is a comercial vehicle, all full size vans are commercial, and some states consider any truck (even 1500's) a commercial vehicle in which case warranties and legality of voiding such warranties are different. Voiding a commercial warranty is much easier than a passanger vehicle/consumer warranty.
    Notice the most common clause is "abuse"- because abuse wear is subjective and they can disallow things claiming abuse as they deturmine. No hard guidelines for them to follow.

8. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

This just came to me after reading more. Both dealers that I bought my trucks from offered me an extended warranty.........for rated for snowplow usage. They were a tad more but well worth the investment.

9. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

That's a great thing to know Blade_masters! Then as long as the front GAWR and GVWR is't exceeded you can legally/safely put the plow on and that gets around the pesky warranty issues! :redbounce