1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No plow on an Off Road Package 1500?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Chiputz, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

What's the deal with not being able to get a plow mount for a 2000 Ram 1500 with the off road package? What's the difference between a standard 1500 and an off road equipped truck? You would think the off road would be better suited to a blade than a street truck with the heavier suspension. I just checked on the Boss website and no go. :confused::confused:

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

It'll fit the truck without issue, maybe possibly because of the height difference. Regardless, the mounts will bolt up fine and the truck will handle it fine as well.

3. djr623

djr623 Member

I have an 8' Meyers on my 01 off road. The build sheet says something about " heavy duty springs" so one would assume it would handle a plow better than a regular half ton. Also the 4.10s and limited slip don't hurt either!

4. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

I know this may sound foolish. But it may the fog lights. I know on the CTD you couldnt have the fog lights if you wanted a plow prep package. Its not always about the strength of front end. Sometimes its airf flow. Also they may paint the air damm on bottom. That has to be cut. Then you also have to look at shocks. An off road shock maybe a bit softer and not handle the plow as well. But the bottom line is. ITS 12 YEARS OLD. Hell put a wide out on it. its out of warranty. Just kidding dont put a wide out on it. You can make it work. I would not worry about it

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  5. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Ok just looked at them its the Bumper. Your going to have to cut it. See how your off road sport doesnt have the plastic air damm on bottom. You have to cut those to get plow on. So get a cutting wheel and notch out bumper
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  6. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Thanks for the input Folks. I'll decide Monday if I get the truck or not.

7. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

If you have that sport bumper you have to notch it. I have seen it done. And you lose the tow hook

8. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

It looks like the upper pic, not the sport. I should be able to just take the air dam section off the bottom of the bumper and let it rip. All this truck will do is push for my yard in the winter and sit all summer.

9. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

I wouldnt worry about it then.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Some of the sports require a different headlight harness then the standard dodge.

11. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I picked up the truck yesterday. Had to trailer it back. Tranny work coming up.. Got it for 2800 less than KBB value so I have some room to play with it.

12. djr623

djr623 Member

Pics? And what does the trans need?

13. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

The tranny keeps popping out of 1st gear or 3rd gear. If it goes into first, it pops out of 3rd and vice versa. There's a howl in 3rd gear, I think there's a bad bearing or a bent shift fork. I trailered it back 260 miles from where I bought it. I'll post pics once I figure out how. [​IMG] This might work..

14. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

nope, I guess not..:laughing:

15. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I put a pic in an album on my profile. I don't have an online photo album to get a url for a pic to post it.

16. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

17. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

18. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

It has a little rust in the rockers and cab corners. My cousin is a body man so putting the new panels on won't be too bad. 105,000 miles, 5.2 w 5 speed stick.

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Good news is the NV3500 was found in a lot of trucks that Dodge put out and its very simple to swap in a new/used one.

I bought a complete truck with a good tranny, engine, axles and the rest was pretty much scrap. I used the tranny and sold off the rest for my purchase price ($600).

20. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Plowguy43, do you know if the nv3500 in a dakota will match up to the 318 in a 1500? There's a bunch of those around here. I'm new to Dodge, was always a Chevy guy before.