1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No plow lights.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RCTOY, Nov 27, 2012.

1. RCTOY

RCTOY Junior Member
    from 83201

So this is a 05 dodge single head light to a 2000 chev double head light conversion....

Im a master auto tech so rather than spend the 280 on the chevy harness for the 4 connecter iso module i just marked the harness when it was removed from the dodged hi beam low beam ext. and cut and spliced that into the chev.. now the plow works fine. the truck light with the plow unpluged i don't have the drives low beam but everything else works just fine. when the plow is pluged in i have no head lights but trun and marker work fine. I have tested all the wiring and made sure i have powers and grounds at the iso. i also tested the harness to make sure i didnt have broken wires or anything.. i then conclueded that do to the 4 connecter iso's having issues it must be bad i spent the coin and bought a new one but no change now i feel stupid and would love to advise on what i am over looking. thanks very much.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which body style is the Chevy? If it's the Silverado body then that would be your problem. An 05 Dodge uses the usual negative common headlamps, a 99-02 Silverado body is positive common. So if you are a master tech you can see where the issue is.

For what you spent on the new Iso you could have bought the correct plug & play headlamp harness's.

3. RCTOY

RCTOY Junior Member
    from 83201

yeah i know this now but theres no return for the iso i bought and it's the older style body chevy with common grounding to both lights.. Im not saying i may have made a mistake with the wirring, people do that all the time but if i did i havent cought it when ive gone back over everything.

As far as the harness goes i still see no reason y the dodge harness should cause anyproblems when the ground is common. the thing that gets me the most is the low beam only works on port 4 if i swap the connecters then the light on the drives side works but still no port 3 low beam output with the plow unpluged?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So it is a classic body. Assuming you have the headlamp inputs to the Iso tied into the truck harness correctly (since your not using a plug & play setup) go after the configuration plug making sure it's ok and configured correctly. If it's not, you'll have no driver side low beam for starters.If you're not versed on the config plug page 6 here gives a decent overview.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you get a Chevy ISO on the second purchase?

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

As a master auto tech I would think your time is worth something. Those GM quad headlights are a pain even when you have the correct harness. Since there are only two wires in each bulb plug it doesn't matter which way the wires go in so at the factory they just put them in whatever way they feel like that day. That's why the Western quad headlight harness can be plugged in either way. This allows you to flip it 180 degrees to get the commons to match up.

I know it's a challenge and maybe fun but I suggest you take advantage of the engineer's at Western and just use the headlight harness designed for it. That way when you have problems down the road the original schematics will be applicable. At our shop when we see a modified vehicle come in the door the flat rate goes out the window and we work by straight time right... Ka-ching $$$ And you know we take our time under those circumstances. "you can pay me now or you can pay me later" Pay for the right harness now and save the future headaches.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

X2 with nick.

8. RCTOY

RCTOY Junior Member
    from 83201

Light wiring is easy im used to working on all sorts of stuff with no diagrams but when the harnesses are wired right and i still don't have anything then a flag goes up and ill do what i have to but i see now reason to spend money on the exact same harnes that comes with 4 connectors instead of 1 the chevy's two head lights share a common ground just like the dodge single light does i saw no reason i couldn't just heat shrink and soder the harnes in befor the factory light connecters seeing how is when im working for my self my time is very cheap in compasison to a 280 dollar harnes. And looking back i should have just bought the 3 connector iso and wirring harness but it's to late now and i don't have one head light low beam working so i think club member B&B hit it on the head the configuration plug that i knew nothing about is wrong so tonight ill be letting you guys know if thats the fix. Oh and yeah the ISO is the right one for the chev. I looked into it befor buying the plow.