1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no plow lights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cwgtz61, Jan 16, 2012.

1. cwgtz61

cwgtz61 Junior Member

I swapped my Western Uni-mount Plow from my 1997 Dodge RAM 1500 Pickup to my 2001 Dodge RAM Pickup recently. I tried to hook up the plow, the hydraulics worked, but the headlights won't. The directional signals and parking lights do work. The truck lights work on own, but when I plug in the plow, the truck lights go off and the plow lights won't come on. I tried a different truck with the plow and all the lights did work, so it is not the plow side wiring. I talked to the closest Western Plow salesperson and he said that it is the correct harness for those years, but that it may be a bad wiring harness. I checked the wiring with an ohm meter and everything seemed to check out fine. I also put in new relays for the plow headlights, but they didn't help. The truck headlights are single lamps (9004/HB1), exactly the same as the old truck lights. I'm not sure if Dodge changed the wiring in the lights between those years. Any information would be great. Thanks, Chris

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This has to be something to do with the headlight harness or relays. I know that the relay plows will still operate without even connecting the headlight relays so it is no suprise that the plow functions work. You need to focus on the headlight harness and reverse engineer it. Verify that you have power in the right place at the right time. Here is a link to the Western electrical book. It includes the relay setup. Have a look and see if you can verify your setup is correct. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf
    Since the truck lights go off when the plow is connected your relays are transitioning. I would start at the output pins of the relays and see if the power is getting through there. You should be able to narrow this down with a little patience and a 12 volt test light.

3. cwgtz61

cwgtz61 Junior Member

Problem solved new light harness and two more light relays and extra wire and i got lights thanks for the info