1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No plow functions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Dec 11, 2009.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Not my plow thankfully this time but my uncles, i'm still responsible for fixing it though!

He just got an 06 2500HD CCSB 6.0 with year or two old 8' MM2. Here is the issue. Sparatically the plow will get stuck (not like its stuck on something, just not functioning) and won't move at all. The headlights work and do not change when this happens. The motor doesn't turn on, nothing. The solenoid is good as it was just changed, twice to be sure. The controller light does not go off. ALL plow connections are in immaculate condition as is every bit of the plow and wiring that ive seen so far. Any ideas? I'm sure confused. Tomorrow morning he will be coming back for me to install a flashy light of some kind as well as continue to go through the plow some more. I know its a truckside issue as i put the plow on my truck and never had any issue whatsoever.

Thank you for any insight!

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

grill plug is failing.

3. mcwlandscaping

They look brand new!

4. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

Check your ground connections. If you have a bad ground it will do strange things like only working sometimes.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

thats what makes me think grill connector. works on yours, not his. try spreading the pins. the power plug.

6. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

Bad controller

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Agree. Steal the controller out of your truck Mike and try it on his. I think you'll find it works.

Don't forget to check the power wire and controller connection while you're there.

8. mcwlandscaping

I knew i should have mentioned that, i did take the controller out of my truck and try it and i did the same thing in his truck but was fine in mine. Also the power wire for the controller was in a lousy place but was getting the right juice (i did move it to a better place with no improvement in fuctions).

Leave it to me to have the most confusing problems!

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes those little forgettable details do make a difference to the diagnostic procedures. :D

Sounds like you have a poor connection in the control/power harness from the Iso. The next time it dies wiggle the #1 plug in the Iso and also the inline fuses. Or pull the plug out and check that none of the pins are backing out ahead of time. You can also check for power and ground at the controller plug with a test light. The black/orange is your ground and the red/yellow is your power.

All this is assuming it's a 4 port Iso of course.

10. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

similar situation happened to me recently. I thought I knew these things in and out, but clearly I didn't. I called my mechanic and in about 35 sec, he disconnected the power wire and re spliced it to the battery and that solved the problem

11. mcwlandscaping

B&B, yes its a four port, I will try that when I'm with him next.

AGMI, do you mean the wires for the main power cables or the 12v red wire in the control harness?

Thanks for the help :)

12. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

Try di-electric grease on your plugs I put it on mine every 3rd or 4th connect and never have a problem, before I started using it I would have to go out and play with the plugs every once in a while, real pain when plowing.:(

13. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

I meant the power wire that goes from the selenoid under the hood to the battery. But we had one more symptom. Power to the plow, no power to the Fishstik

14. micka

micka Junior Member

controls not working

my plow was doing some of the same problems after sending it out to be looked at several times the final conclusions was the power wire from the control joy stick box was tied on the interior light switch, on my Chevy silverado 03, 3500 the swich is a dimmer wheel switch, if it moved a little, i would loose 12 volts and the plow would not move i rewired it to a different circuit.