1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Plow for Bank

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chief Plow, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I do quite a few quick marts in my area, there is a bank right accross the street that I have bid on 3 years now, and every time I am told I cost to much. The employees get mad at their director of maint. , there comment is this guys lotts are always clean, and our lott sucks. Well, I get a phone call at 10 am. After a night of 10" of heavy junk snow. He tells me they fired there plow guy and asks me to look at the lott. I get there about 20 min later, I look at it ( Parking in the front, back, 2 entrances, sidewalks, and 3 drive thru lanes. ) I give him a price of $400.00 to do it. This is in line with some stores of mine in similar size. He laughs at me and says I quote, "Forget it ". Well I went back later, and there were 3 maint. guys there shoveling. I laughed. I thought I was cheap at $400.

Rick

2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Was I to expensive at $400.00? Any opinions?

Rick

3. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

NOPE you where right on the money. the only mistake you made was you should have said " quick give 400.00 a month and i'll think about taking you on as a customer"you have to know when to hold them and and know when to folded them and walk away.i tell people right up front that im am not the cheapist around.i only deal with customer that need to have thier business open.i know all the above sounds cockey but when you run your business right you don't want to waste you time with tire kickers.

4. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

im sorry i looked at your post again, weather its 400.00 per time/or month you have to get your price

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

From thier side, they need to consider how long it takes those three guys and how much it costs the bank in wages and benefits.

He's had you over twice now, knowing what it would cost? I would think hard about taking it at all; he's not going to be a happy customer, regardless of how well you do.

6. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I told them the $400.00, because my other stores pay me about $130 every 3 inches. ( That is the going rate in our market ) based on the 10 inches, I figured $400.00 was reasonable. I wasn't going in there to move concrete for nothing. I really didn't need the work I have 12 quick marts and 12 drives. I just thought it was pretty funny though.

Rick

7. Chief Plow

Sounds like the guy before you was extremely cheap and this bank guy thought he could get something for nothing again.

8. Wait until he has a slip and fall while his maintenence men are shoveling, by one of his "not so scrupulous" customers who has a less scupulous attorney.
    We all know people like this, I have found it is best not doing business with them. You are wise in your decision.

9. Comet

Comet Senior Member

Rick

$400 was right on the money with that much snow fall on the lot.

10. bison1973

bison1973 Member

Just for comparison (since you asked) $400 for that type of lot would be outrageously high in my area. Around here you would never get any work at those rates.

11. Ben

Ben Member

I think that with 10" of snow you were right on the money. And i bet you will get called back in the future to do the bank lot after they go through a few low ballers.

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well if it was 400.00 per push you might be high, but since you would have serviced them 3x for 10" of snow you were right in line. We have changed our pricing structure to read snow removal is priced at xxx.xx per 3" of accumulation. That way we charge for 3" of snow fall regardless if we push every 3" or once at the end.
    Dino

13. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I think your right on the money for that lot. MAybe more since they let it get up to 10" and then want it plowed. I had a gas station that I waited 2 months for them to sign the contract. Called called called. Then day before we get 9" of snow they have the nerve to call and ask if I can do it for less. Without hesitation I said NO. There was silence on the line...." you ...you...you.. mean no?" NO means NO ma'am. " Well we think it should be less"... I said.. " your in the gas business not the snow removal biz. plus .. do I pull up to your pumps and say... Can't u give me 89 for 1.25/gal?" She was stunned. I went there the next morning to get coffee and they had so joe shmoe with a broke down blazer battleing the snow. Just laughed and left.

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I know they have some nerve.It's all right to jack up the gas price when they hear of an increase .You know what you should of said i Have to get these rates have you seen the price of gas?;)

15. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Go back and ask those Maint guys if they think $400.00 is to much after they get done shovling it clear:D