1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no pedal after replacing and bleeding everything

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bgingras, Dec 2, 2012.

1. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

1995 K2500, 8600GVW.

It started with replacing the axle seals which resulted in wheel cylinders and all associated parts which resulted in rear lines. Front line ruptured after lowering the vehicle, replaced front lines and calipers(after bleeders broke). Each location has been bled twice now. I have no pedal pressure unless I pump hard then it builds but then drops to the floor and light comes on on the next push. I have good fluid to all 4 corners and don't think there is any air left.

NEW: all lines rear cylinders, front calipers.

Could it be the master cylinder now? :confused:

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How did you cycle the ABS module when bleeding the system?

3. CHPL

CHPL Member

The proprtioning valve is tripped, there is a tool to hold it in. some times it you bleed the proprtioning valve you can get the pedal up then bleed at the calipers some more.

4. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

each wheel was done at a separate time, each part was simply bled by vacuum pump from the bleeder valve. It started as one brake component, each time the truck was lowered another rupture occurred. I have done nothing more than use the vac pump at each point.

I'm starting to think maybe something else should have been done. :confused:

5. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

Sound to me like you have a bad Master Cylinder .

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Proportioning valve

7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

You need to power bleed it with a scan tool, sounds to me the ABS module is full of air. These are a PITA to bleed without a scan tool.

8. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

does it help to diagnose if I am now seeing fluid being forced from around the cover when pressing the pedal down? a jet of fluid comes out of the rear reservoir as well now.

9. CHPL

CHPL Member

follow the line from the master cyliinder until you find the proportioning valve and bleed it. Vacum bleeder will not work if the valve is tripped. Find a manual and bleed it followig the specific procedure or you will be forever trying to do it.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If he has fluid coming out of all four bleeders the prop valve is not the problem.....

11. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

clear fluid to all four corners...the pedal drops to the floor with zero resistance the first time, on the second pump pressure builds, then more. When left for even 10 seconds there is no pressure again.

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it could be master....but I would bleed them again with 2 pple pump hold,,,pump hold way. Then look into the rear brake shoe adjustment

13. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

would the rear shoe adjustment cause this though? They had been backed off completely after the axle seals blew and rear locked up, the brakes still worked. I'll double check the rear shoes and bleed again.

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

That's your problem. Adjust them properly

15. dieselss

Yea remember if there not adjusted it would take a lot of fluid to get the shoes to contact the drums. Then after you let off the pedal the springs would retract the shoes. That's why its important to keep shoes adjusted properly. A side bar,,,the vacuum bleaders aren't the best for bleeding b/c you aren't acuating the master cylinder,,so air is Gunna get trapped somewhere

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Not entirely true. A vacuum bleeder is fine for the most part. Even when replacing master cylinder we still vacuum bleed 9/10
    Times.

17. dieselss

Ok. I've never used anything but another persons foot

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Neither did i until I brought a vacuum lol. Makes it so much easier

19. dieselss

Ok. Not thinking I wanna try it. But if it works for u,,,run with it

20. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

crawled under and looked at adjustment on the rears, they don't have any spacing the the drum at all really. I'm thinking of bleeding the rear one more time since so much line was installed on that circuit just in case we still have air in there.