1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No park or turn lights on plowside

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by k1768, Jan 1, 2016.

1. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm wiring in new aftermarket headlights that have the park and turn lights integrated in. These are replacing the BOSS style with the High/Low in the light housing and turns inside of the light mount bar. I've got the headlights working no problem, can't get park or turn to work, they still work on the truck as always.

Aftermarket (Hamsar) have six wires:
    Yellow (park)
    Black (ground)
    Green (turn)
    Red (high beam)
    Blue (common)
    White (low beam)

BOSS had 5 wires going to each Amber light:
    Brown (park and turn ground)
    Pink qty 2 (right turn)
    Yellow qty 2 (park)
    Violet qty 2 (left turn)

Each (original) headlight also had a brown

So I tied the three browns and black together. Both BOSS yellow to the Hamsar yellow. Both BOSS violet to Hamsar Left green. Both BOSS pink to Hamsar Right green.

When that didn't work I connected test light to one BOSS brown and one BOSS violet, yellow, pink individually one at a time with nothing. This entire time the truck park and turn continue to work.

What the heck am I missing here? From what I can tell there are no fuses for the turn/park lights specific to the Plow side.

Edit to add,
    Previously all original lights worked. I'm replacing for the typical BOSS alignment and light bounce problem.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's that blue common wire you have listed?

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

That's how Hamsar had it listed. I assumed that was the common(aka) ground for the low/high beams. So the Hamsar blue is going to the BOSS White/Yellow which is common for all 4 headlights as per the BOSS wiring diagram.

4. dieselss

Then where's that black going?
    Have you opened up the lights to trace the wiring?

5. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Black I believe to be park/turn ground.
    I did not open the new headlight housing yet, since right now I can't even get a test light to light.
    I did open the old Amber light, brown is the ground, it has two dual filament bulbs, each bulb got one yellow and a violet or pink based on left/right side.
    I have not opened up one of the old headlights.

6. dieselss

I would say that opening up the new light would be the easiest thing right now. Just to be sure you wire it in right

7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Figured it out. ID Ten T error.
    After looking at the wiring diagram for the 5th time I realized that there's no Ground running through the 13 pin connector. The Ground from the 2 pin pump motor connector is used for everything. Since I was only testing lights, I only plugged in the 13 pin connector..... *******

Thanks for the help dieselss.

Edit to add,
    Haha I called myself a word that started with du and ended with ss and the forum replaced it will all *'s

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  8. dieselss

Good deal. Happy plowing

9. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Just need snow.