1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No one wants to rent containers for salt storage.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Wilnip, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I've called some places that rent containers. 1st question they ask is what am I using it for. When they hear bulk salt, they won't rent it to me. One claims corrosion. One claimes it's to labor intensive to clean. Anyone else having this problem?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell them bagged salt!

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I dont blame them. Even with bagged salt I personally witness one turn into Swiss cheese.

Buy your own. $3-4k

4. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree buy your own its way better then paying monthly

5. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Just tell them its for landscape tools and put a tarp down on the floor before loading salt into it to help protect it and keep it clean. Blow it out with a back pack blower at the end of the season and they'll never be the wiser.

6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Loading salt in one destroys them very quick. I've gone through several now, and I look for heavily used ones that are past the point of being completely acceptable for rental. I usually get them for $1500 or so. Just buy one, and plan on it getting ruined in a few years time.

Also, one of the guys will punch a hole in the side eventually I'm sure.

7. PlowSlick.com

PlowSlick.com Senior Member

You could always buy one and coat the inside bottom & front edge with Plow-Slick. One it cures into place the coating is impervious to salts. It has been tested in heavy brine for over 4 years and has protected the finish and base metal.

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yeah but will it make it a slip and slide?

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds cheaper to replace the container

10. PlowSlick.com

Really, $80 is more expensive than buying a container???
    You would only need 2 kits to do the inside of a container.

11. PlowSlick.com

You would apply Plow-Slick to the bottom (interior) and front lip so no it would not make it slip and slide.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Ive never seen someone walk on top of a container. .

13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Same problem here in central MN, no one will rent a container that'll be used for salt storage. Can't say I blame them.

14. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

how many tons of bulk salt will they hold.

15. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

20 I believe

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Rick,

Not trying to bust your balls here, but if your kit only does a 30"x 8' how's is it going to do a 40'x 8' box with two? Would need about 15 kits plus the time and labour to clean, prep and apply. Plus have to do this every year, follow me? And let's not forget the walls and traction for the skid steer

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  17. PlowSlick.com

Actually, I would just do a quick grind on the floor, degrease and power-wash then apply with a spray gun. When spraying you can get very high coverage rates. I agree that 2 kits won't cover the floor, walls and ceiling but 2 kit's sprayed will cover the floor and partway up the wall. Again, it is a thin coating and you get pretty decent coverage when spraying.

Traction is easy. Take small pinches of sand and throw it into the coating.

Even if you cleaned and resealed the floor every year, it is still cheaper than buying a new one.

As for what it covers on a plow, that is entirely different as most people will just dip and roll. If they thinned and then sprayed they could probably cover 2 plows with the 1 kit.

One other fact, 1 gallon thinned and sprayed will cover up to 650 sq ft.

18. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

PlowSlick, I will have a container delivered in the next week or so. Why don't you send someone out to seal it? We can film a video to usr to promote the product and show the nay sayers.

19. PlowSlick.com

I wish had the time to but I don't. Currently we:
    Formulate epoxirs
    Install Flooring
    Market Plow-Slick
    Run seasonal storage
    Plow snow.

If you would be willing to shoot a video, I could do something on the cost. If your interested, PM me your #

Is your container brand new or used? If new the prep is really simple.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  20. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I have a friend that I help por 15 and then use plastic coat bedliner in his container did the floors and wall 6ft up cost 350 in material. that was 3 years ago and aside from the floor getting a little scraped the container is still in good shape.