1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No one understands our job... *rant*

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GpGuy84, Dec 7, 2003.

1. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

It really amazes me how the general public has no understanding of what we do.

I mean yesterday I was doing a driveway and while trying to manuver my truck on a narrow street to get out of the way this guy in his "landrover" is creeping up on me. Then today I was doing the same driveway again and these people were digging out their cars and while doing so parked them at the entrance (I mean my truck was right there, blinking lights and all!!! :realmad: ) The best though was last night some one in an ML300 wated to pass the loader that was plowing the street. fortunately the opperator missed him... Barely

And cars are half the battle. Pedestrians are even worse. I love how in snow storms they still use the "right of way" law in MA. this one guy almost became a hood orniment on a City of Boston truck.

Ugh, I just needed to vent my frustration to some people who understand what I mean. Hope this has been a lucrative weekend for everyone who got to go play in the snow :drinkup:
  2. 1976 Ranger

1976 Ranger Junior Member

Tell me about it, I plowed for the first time this year for my place of work (Sunoco Gas station) . I was plowing on one side of our gas pumps and this left 8 of them open. You would think these people would go to an open pump, Nope they went right behind me when i was trying to back up :realmad: They dont seem to care about the Big truck with Flashers in front, they figure i'll just move out of there way ! But when they get hit from being stupid they sure dont mind yelling at you!

3. LandscapeEscape77

LandscapeEscape77 COPPA Member

Yep...i sure can agree here.

This morning-my dad dropped me off at a large bank parking lot we plow (and also own the entire building). He and my uncle took the loader to go do another area and left me with the F350 Dump. Being short on guys and behind the storm-he said just be careful and plow the lot (i am only 15 yrs old)

Everything was going excellent...very careful...all blinkers on. Was plowing up through the drive up window and a strong gust of wind took snow off the teller window and blew it accross the way-couldt see anythhong. 8 feet in front of it, a small white honda civic appears-it was parked at the atm-no lights or anything.

I would have been screwed if i hit it:eek:
  4. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I hear ya! You don't even want to get me started on this topic. ;)

I almost ran a customer over today. He was darting back and forth behind my Jeep while I was plowing his driveway. Wouldn't have been pretty if I did squish him. His wife had her nose pressed up against the living room window and was watching. lol.
  5. North Country

North Country Senior Member

Late Saturday night and there is still a line at an ATM drive-thu we plow. People are sliding all over try to get into the drive- thru lane straight. One of our trucks, a dump, light going etc. is trying to get a pass through and NO ONE would let him in, they would rather slide into a $150k piece of equipment and be sued by the bank than wait 2 minutes for us to plow the lane!
  6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing a rural divided highway last year, three huge state trucks and me in my F350 dumper, there was a tractor trailer (53 foot!) trying to pass us, even though we were doing a one-pass whole-width push. The snow was probably six or eight inches deep in front of us...what did he expect to do if he did get past us?

That's pretty common for people in smaller vehicles to try, too. It's funny to watch people fly out in front of the plow only to have to slow down, or to get their car sandblasted by the spreader they just passed (I only made THAT mistake _once_).
  7. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

Hey Coro, I did that a few years back with a 24' box truck. looking back, (about 5-10 min AFTER) I realized the guys weren't being nice when they spread out a bit so I could get thru. They were either wanting to see me wreck. (almost did) or didn't want to get caught up in it if I DID lose it!:eek: 1st and LAST time I ever tried THAT!
  8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

yah don't even get me started about idoits on the road while plowing. some lady flipped out on me while i was plowing the entrance to a resturant and what was with all the idiots out getting christmas trees saturday? :angry:
  9. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

This last storm was spread out over a day and a half. We had all our trucks out friday through saturday, got everything cleaned off by saturday evening, and we called it a night. Just like the DOT guys. We knew we had to plow the next day, and would be better off getting some rest.

Well, the next day, someone in an apartment complex asked why he had to shovel his spot at 1am in the morning. ( we don't even do spots until the storm is over). After I told him that we took the night off cause of low snow fall, and having to be back in the morning.... he asked again... and I explained again... he asked agian.... and you get the point.

What really agravated me, I was in one lot.. and jeep came up behind me. I plowed down, and he came up to where I couldn't back up and finish off the windrow. So, I let him past. I spin back up and around, and he is behind me again. I go forward, and he gets closer to me!!! So I plow agian, this time he blocks me from going backwards, which also blocks the lot so he can't get out. I gave him a look,and it took him about a full minute to realize I wanted to back up.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  10. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

these stupid people really do make you work for your money huh? Not only do u have to plow with a lot of awareness so u dont wreck anything, now u have to watch out for dumbass passerbys. Jeez
  11. KL3

KL3 Junior Member

How about the fools that decide to go for a run down the middle of the road during a storm at 4 or 5 am. :realmad:
  12. BigDawg

BigDawg Member

Gas stations are the absolute worst. These morons have no clue. They should stay the hell home in a storm. I also love the people who come flying out of there house yelling that you put the snow in the wrong spot when your not even half way done the job and just moving the snow so you can push it somewhere else. But there is a sense of pride when you drive by a guy shoveling his driveway, he stops shoveling,(with his hat on sideways and sweat running down his brow) and watches you drive by with the window down and the tunes a crank'n.

It's not just a job, It's an adventure!
  13. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

we do a large supermarket and target store here, you can have an area TOTALLY cleared off big enough to hold 30-40 cars...noooooooooo, they want to park 20' closer to the front door where there's 6" of snow they have to walk through. not picking on women here, but worst thing that ever came out was AWD cars. before, they would stay home until roads, parking lots were clear, now they're out while it's snowing, blowing and are constantly in the way.
  14. shadowmaker1969

shadowmaker1969 Junior Member
    from va

I push the lot where I work. I get there about 2-3 hrs before the next shift starts. I push off a section for the working shift to move their cars to, so I can push off in front of the entrance for the on coming shift. But where does the on coming shift want to park? All the way on the other side of the lot where I havent gotten to yet. Sooooo, what I do is wait until they get all the way to the door and then pull up and say "Can you move your car so I can finish removing the snow?" And simply grin. Its taken 3 yrs but most of them know now. Also, I ll have a "loud" conversion with friends at the plant that know about "I dont understand how people can be so stupid. WHY do they want to park in the area I havent pushed yet?" Thats get attention also. And if that doesnt work, I push snow either up to the door where they ll have to dig out or "accidently" leave a pile of snow if front of their car.

I ve gotten where I try and stay away from gas stations. 600 lb piece of metal, me getting pissed off, vs idiots that shouldnt even be out isnt a good combo.

Good to know I m not the only one dealing with idiots.

15. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

Semi truck drivers deal with this everyday. Noone is kind to semi trucks. They are big, slow, not very manuverable and cars dart around them all the time.

I hate plowing after 6:00 am but what can you do?
  16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

My biggest gripe is a GRIPE I no longer have to deal with for now.

See, I used to plow these new housing developments prior to the developer dedicating the streets to the township, borough, town, etc.

I had 3 and they ranged from about 1 mile to the big one with close to 3 miles. Was easy work and payed very well. I often times came close to 200/hr door to door.

Anyway. The real big one consisted of very well built homes in the $500-750,000 range (this was 9 years ago too!) Well it seems that the Super got a LOT of calls about ME plowing homeowners driveways shut when I'd plow the streets.

WELL, DUH !!! :rolleyes: Where else am I going to put the Snow??? I told him that, and he asked if I could go through when I'm done and plow each and every driveway apron. :dizzy: I said, "Sure, no problem, $5 a piece for every one I do" He said, DO IT!! payup

I told him that these Ritzie Titzie new home buyers are going to get spoiled, because in 2 years this plowing will be turned over to the Township Plow crews, and they're certainly NOT going to plow open each driveway apron. He said " I know that, but when the roads are dedicated, we'll (home builder) be outa here!".

Anyway, there were approx 60 homes in this section of the development, and at $5 a piece, it was a walk in the park for about an hours worth of work.

Some of the homeowners thanked me, and others commented on why it took so long for me to plow the apron.

I'm glad I'm done with that, but the money was sure nice!

I also hear others talk at different places about how the "Snowplowers always plow my parking spot/driveway/sidewalk/etc. in." I often comment and say, "Where would you LIKE them to put the snow?" Talk about a Deer-in-the-headlights look!!! :D
  17. DieselDood78

DieselDood78 Junior Member

I vote for natural selection! Anyone STUPID enough to walk out around, or drive that close to a plow gets whacked. If they are lucky they live....if not....oh well. The Gene pool just got a bit cleaner. Call it chlorine for the gene pool!

DD:gunsfiring: :drinkup: