1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No need to be the low-ball on a bid.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Laszlo Almasi, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I was recently given a contract to clear several attached properties here in NC. There were actually numerous other entities bidding on the same location. After I was informed of my being selected I thought about the questions many new operators here seem to ask and I posed this question to my contact:

"If you don’t mind me asking, where did I fall in line on pricing? High? Low? Middle? Is there anything I can do to better provide for your snow/ice needs?"

My contacts reply:

"You were on the upper side of the middle, but your services were more thorough and when meeting with you, you were conscious of the lot and building use, the melt run off and safety issues. The others not so much. 

I think you’ve got everything covered that we might need. You know what you’re doing better than me and I’m confident in your abilities so I’m just going to let you handle it 

The reason I am putting this up is for others bidding on new locations to consider these items:

First, you do not need to lowball just to get a job all the time. Granted yes, sometimes you do but is that really the way you want to start off? Bid what the job is worth and make it worth your while.

Second, analyze the location and pay attention to the "lay-of-the-land" and explain each detail to your contact as you are walking the property with him/her. BTW, make sure you walk it first by yourself if possible.

Third, make sure you address issues they have obviously not thought about. Snow removal is what "we" do...not them. No need to bury them in details but touching on key issues will let them know that your knowledge is valuable and you aren't just going to show up, push some snow into piles and leave.

Fourth, take the time to make them feel comfortable with you and the service you provide. In doing so, you will justify your bid unless you are way too far out in left field. You have to be reasonable and fair to both the customer and yourself. Using this formula, I've secured more contracts than I have lost.

Hope this helps some of you newer guys to evaluate your locations and to bid in such a manner that it not only benefits you, but our service as a whole down the road. If people continue to lowball then eventually, it will not be worth the long hours or wear and tear on not only your equipment, but your body as well.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012