1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No movement, testing continues......

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Seaway25, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

MM1 9ft straight blade 3 plug hook up.

I plowed a few driveways and went home earlier today. The plow worked fine. When I got home I tried park and lower the plow. It wouldn't do anything. The Fishstick lights up. When you press a direction you hear a faint click and it turns off. Here's what I have done so far.

Check fuses on module - all good
    Test plow motor - working
    Put in a new solonoid and tested solonoid - working.
    Put my fishstick controller on another truck to test it - it works in the other truck
    Tried the controller from another truck in this one - clicks and turns off
    Check plow lights - working
    Check the power in the controller - 12V power

My guess is the isolation module or the wiring harness. Next I'm going to try swapping modules to see what happens. Any other suggestions?
  2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Make sure the connectors haven't fallen off the solenoids. I've seen that happen a couple times before.
  3. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

Thanks, I'll check that too.
    I also checked the red accessory wire. That's fine. Just to clarify, on the control the yellow Fisher light comes on with the key. The red light light turns on when you hit the power button as it should. Then when you push any direction the red light (power) goes out. There is a faint click when that happens.
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Wiggle the connector inside the cab while operating the clicker.
  5. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I have un-plugged, plugged in, wiggled, and swore at it. So far I haven't had any luck.
  6. dieselss

Ok ..the main gnd. Double Ck that
  7. What he said....sounds like a bad battery cable ground.
  8. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I cleaned and tested the main ground. It seems fine. I also tested the grounds on the plugs by the module and solonoid. They are all good. When I first worked on it today the controll was doing the same thing. It powers up and turns off when you press a direction. Now I have no power on the control. The red acc. wire to it has power, but there is no longer power to the controller. I am leaning toward a new wiring harness. I'm just hesitant to spend that much money guessing that's the problem.
  9. dieselss

Well.see if you can hotwire the controller power wire then. Fyi the wires are kinda cheep and will corrode at the slightest break in the wire
  10. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

When I test the 2 quick connect grounds with a test light on the brown/orange wire should it light up on both sides of the connectors?
  11. dieselss

Where at? Is it power or gnd
  12. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

Ground. There is one plug to the solenoid and one by the isolation module. They have the brown and orange wire. I put the clip on the positive battery terminal and the probe on the grounds to test them. I pulled the connectors apart and tested both sides. I think only one side lights up when they are apart. I'm wondering if both sides should light up.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  13. dieselss

Oh...No it's the controller signal wire
  14. jshocik

jshocik Member

Check the plug at the end of the harness where you plug in the controller. I've had "issues" with mine, the wires are pretty thin (20 ga. I believe) & have a tendency to give you trouble. I know others have had problems with this, & I found a replacement end to the harness plug on eBay for $10. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161491772933?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT.

Try pushing the wires on the harness into the plug, this worked for me.

The people who use the fish-stick controller usually unplug it after they're done plowing. The wires are pretty thin & I don't think Fisher took this into consideration when designing this.
  15. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I tried moving those wires without any luck. Maybe I'll try a new plug. Thanks.
  16. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

The main fuse is good, but there is no power there. I re-checked all of the grounds and power connections. The turn signals on the plow do not work. When you put them on the truck signals blink. The plow headlights do work. I have been working through all of the tests from the Fisher website. It brings me to eiter a bad wire harness or isolation module. My friend had a western isolation module I am tempted to try. They look the same, but the numbers and sticker color are different. When I switched controllers my controller worked on the truck with the Western plow. Maybe the new solenoid is bad? But, when I do the tests on it from the Fisher diagrams it passes them. I'm not sure what to do next that isn't expensive. I may have to break down and take it to the dealer.
  17. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

If the fuse is good and there no power there were does it get its power from i read a little ways back your controler is flickering were are you getting the power to power the controler up at the fuse box maybe its not making contact there
  18. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

have u checked the 2 mini fuses in the #! control harness their about a foot down from where the number 1 control harness plugs into the module the 15 amp one is for the directionals and parking lights on the plow head lights and the 7.5 amp is for the controller
  19. dieselss

What main fuse are you talking about? There's like 4
  20. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Off the vehicle harness plug there should be a brown wire to the vehicle parking light circuit. Make sure it is sound and connected.