1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no morning starts.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by trevortr, Jul 19, 2002.

1. trevortr

trevortr Junior Member
    from msn

1983 Chevy 3/4 .350 .My truck will just turn over in the early am .Then will start right up in the after noon.Have repaced ign.module, coil,dist. cap & roter,plugs and fuel filter.Does this sound like an electrical problem to you ?

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

How's your battery? If it's colder in the morning (usually is) and the battery is weak, it could barely turn the truck over, and then not have as much trouble once it warms up.

Marcus

3. trevortr

trevortr Junior Member
    from msn

Thanks for your reply Marcus ,Ill check out my battery but when turns over its cranking it pretty good.It may pop right off for two to three days and a row then when I go to work at 6:00 it won't start but when I come home for lunch Ill check and it starts ,it really has me baffled.Its a 1/2 ton 305

Last edited: Jul 19, 2002
  4. johngus

johngus Senior Member

What's missing?spark or fuel.get a spark tester and check it when it won't start.Thats a really simple truck to diagnose compared to new ones!!!

5. chevy

chevy Member

Check the plug wires I had a simular problem. Early in the morning the metal had just enough condesation to have the wires short out and in the late day were it dries out the engine starts. Of course this was a Ford; excuse my language; and thought until now it was just a cursed Ford disease. Watch where you park I hate to see good trucks get sick from inferior trucks. Any who check the wires. Good luck

6. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

After I thought about it more, another thing to check is corrosion on your battery terminals. Take them off, clean them thoroughly, put on some battery terminal anti corrosion gunk and give it a go. My old diesel had symptoms exactly like the ones you described, and a good cleaning of the terminals cured it.

Marcus

7. trevortr

trevortr Junior Member
    from msn

Thanks for the ideas ,Thought I had it fixed with cleaning the ground connections and new rotor but after a week, this morning it woudn't start again.I will put new plug wires on it and check your other sugestions . Thanks again This web site is awsome.