1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No more salt ! ! !

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Turbodiesel, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

I have a condo developement beachin about salt and their pets .

they're gonna pay 5-6 times as much for the calciummmmmm
    Stay tuned . :cool:
  2. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

Um.. I could swear that I put salt blocks out in my back yard for deer to lick/eat. Have their pets been getting sick, vomitting, and dying?

I think the whole "it's going to hurt my dog" is crap. But maybe not. I could be 100% wrong.

I'm staying tuned. haha.
  3. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I've got the same situation. I apply calcium chloride to the walks for twice the price per pound.
  4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

It's more the pets walking on the salt, that people don't like. We don't do sidewalks, put everyone we know that does, is using calcium chloride, on condos and apartments for that reason, it also works faster and lower temps as far as I know.
  5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Well it depends. Common Rock Salt is used for making ice cream and in small amounts is not toxic and does not do harm. With that said some dogs are hyper sensitive and even a small amount can be of concern - kind of rare even though the owner will claim otherwise. The key is to have them brush off their feet with a DRY rag after exposure, then they can wet wash their feet if they choose.

The product we use at one of our pet accounts ( boarding place ) is FreezGard. It's nutty outrageous on price and hence we use it only in a limited area with high traffic. Stuff works great and is as safe as baking soda.

I've attached an info sheet I provide my customers with this concern. So far not one single complaint about any paws or icy conditions.

Attached Files:

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Have you ever seen a dog get calcium in his paws? Not a pretty site.
  7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

From what I know what Calcium does to your skin I would have to think Calcium would be worse than rock salt for a dog paw
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You would be correct. If you've never seen a dog dance before let him walk through some calcium slush.:drinkup:
  9. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

aint that the truth , but the customer is always right . or are they?payup
  10. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

calcium is worse than sodium, especially to a pets paws.
  11. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

People are irresponsible and want to blame someone else for their problems. They want the best of both worlds, but don't want to handle their own responsibilities for themselves or their pets. I have a woman in Chardon, Ohio who makes my Huskies boots and harnesses...they're relatively inexpensive and they are very effective.

Here's what they look like:

12. I have a condo complex that has alot of pet traffic and gardens in the area. I opted for a product called Ice Grip. It's base is urea mixed with cat litter and approx 10% calcium. It is my first year using it and I have mixed reviews on it. It seems to work on ice and thinly packed snow. From what I can see I am going to have some clean up in the spring. But for being almost 3x more expensive I expected a little more from it. I am looking for a different product.
  13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Why not just use Magic Salt, or get Magic -0 and make your own ?
  14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I hope your not putting the rock salt in the ice cream :eek:LOL
  15. gary42095

gary42095 Member

magic salt is just as bad as salt with calcium. magic has calcium mixed in from what i read on their site. and plain calcium is bad stuff to touch can irritate and even cause severe burns. i know i don't want my dog walking on or near calcium. i use speedy dry on my deck where my dog walks... addds traction and wont hurt my pooch. before putting calcium on walks where alot of animals will be i would make certain the people understand that the hazards include chemical reaction temps that can reach 140º
    i know a construction company near me used calcium pelets for dust control and neighborhood kids went out and were picking it up... yea... they got mild burns and rash and the company had to bring in a water truck for dust control
  16. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I use calcium at a vets office with no problems. I only use it on their steps and wheel chair ramp. I got this job from a guy that used to spread bulk salt like it was water !!! The problem with any product is over application. If you shovel/sweep the walks before applying you can use next to nothing to get the same results as melting it away. I do also use my left over material in the summer for dust control. I will put pele dow or dow flake ( what ever I have) down and it woks great. If it is in the sun it melts in minutes, a heavy dew works good too. I know the product creates heat but that is how it works. Fo years we used landscapers choice but it wasn't very effective. We would use alot more to acheive the same results as chloride. Moderation is the key !!!

17. Runner

Runner Senior Member

At a vets office is a different story. these animals (and only some of them) are being exposed to this stuff ONCE..and for a short distance. At a condo complex,..this is their home...That means everyday...a couple of times a day. This calcium idea is not only a bad idea, but is DANGEROUS to these animals! this stuff will BURN their skin fast and severely. This is NOTHING to mess around with! Do some research, print it, and give it to the condo board members or whomever the uneducated people are that are requesting this.
  18. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

What about using something like GeoMelt? Isn't that nautal beet juice or something?

I use stuff called extreme melt on a bunch of sidewalks. really mild stuff, the package says safe for pets, and it works well. I've spread it with bare hands at times and even with cuts here and there, no irritation like salt, etc. I cant imaging that Cal would be less harmful than anything, especially on paws.
  19. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Mmmm, Mmmmm, Good. Works well on eggs too :p
  20. For what is't worth..Magic Salt does not contain calcium and it is labeled and proven pet friendly.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009