1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no more plowing just management

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by snowman55, Dec 6, 2008.

1. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

well. it kind of sucks. got to the point where I cant plow anymore. I have 20 trucks and shovel crews on the road and I need to sit here at my desk and manage the plow. last year got to be too much answering 2 cell phones routing crews, tracking work done on a laptop and plowing at the same time. backed into a light pole and decided I could not do it anymore. any one else in the same boat? I miss running a truck and I'm bored with answering the phone.

2. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

maybe hire a secratary type of person to take calls, and relay info. to you, that way you can run a rig still but youll still have a little work load roll over.

3. snowman55

I have an office manager/ secratary. but shes not gonna wrok nites and days and. with that many routes I and constantly having to readjust them based on timing and severity of the storm to meet varied open deadlines. we have a mix of work with deadlines from 4am to 5pm. it creats headaches but I can keep my riggs plowing for 10 hours on a 2" snowfall.

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

yea that sounds like a headache. thats why i think i want to stay small and maybe grow to 10 trucks tops, that way im still small enough to run a rig, the day i cant plow and run my own business will be the day i quit. i love it too much .

5. snowman55

thats what I used to say but the wife wont stop spending money.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Get Nextels (or direct connect) and maybe loose the lap top. Create fill in the blank (or check off) site sheets to track your activity. Something simple and quick, but with all the info you need.

Get away from your desk and at least perform inspections during the activity.

Maybe plow at one of your larger sites that will have multiple trucks working, so during the non busy times of your dispatching and tracking you can plow, but little will be affected on that site when you need to sit idle to document the activity.

My huge burden is extracting all of the activity from each log (after the outings) to create my storm reports, billing, analysis, summaries........

7. snowman55

I have thought about that and may go to a system like that. haven't been able to find a program I felt was good enough. also I try to handle that burden of creating storm reports and analysis during the storm. all customers recieve email updates the following day stating services performed on their properties. I have had alot of possitive feedback about the proactive informatiom they recieve.

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You won't find what you want, create your own.

Lose gathering the other info........concentrate only on activity.

For our customers I create a storm description with all relevant information, detailing what happened in multiple cities and counties. They are all either faxed or e-mailed (once the girls get to the office) this which notifies them that something did happen. We have had the same customer response you experienced.

9. snowman55

well its sunday nite and I'm at my desk again got 10 trucks out. I picked up a captains chair out of a wrecked van. I'm goona build an office chair out of it and mount a joystick so I can pretend i'm plowing

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

This one has the joystick control. :D

verne_j__troyer13.jpg

verne_j__troyer13.jpg

11. snowman55

cool where can I get a mini me?

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Mini me's are very hard to find...........if you can't locate one, get the upgraded chair.

super chair.jpg

super chair.jpg

13. danknight60

danknight60 Member

hey i love plowing but if i had 20 trucks as i only have one and i have 24 accounts and my tuck is on it 's last leg i would not complain as i would love to sit at my desk and manage 20 truck i own yes i only started my business 3 years ago but i have been plowing for 11 years, just think of it this why u could have only 4 trucks including urs and that's it get my drift "hehe" be happy :bluebounc bro i wish i just had 2 good trucks:cry:

14. snowman55

not complaining dan.I just get bored and miss running a truck. tcla send me the link on that chair I want it, but it would have to be black and the joystick be compatable with internet plow game.

15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I'm thinking one of these should work. xysport

joystick-39494.jpg

joystick-39494.jpg

16. danknight60

danknight60 Member

xysport yea that chair is cool lol if you know of anyone getting rid of a old truck gmc or chevy keep me in mind the last 2 years killed me just stayed above water need another truck but money is so dam tight right now i really need snow in the next 3 weeks or i am out of business:cry:

17. snowman55

TCLA, what site did you get those switchs from my guys are forever bitching about the blizzards monster controller. maybe I can fab one up .

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Get to work on it.

welding.jpg

welding.jpg

19. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Snowman,
    I'm in the same boat as you I usually run about 20 pieces of equipment & trucks plus four to five crews. I made an investment in GPS that tracks when the trucks leave, the "bread crum trail" of how they go to a job, their speed, when they enter and leave a job, and events (long idle time ignition on & off) Its like Lojac, but there is more info, stored for 90 days and you only have to call the cops if they steal the truck! Good for biling T&M jobs during the entire year, especially when you have that employee who never writes anything down and makes up his hours when you call looking for the slip. A great investment.
    I still plow, we used to have two way radio's all season, but know we only turn them on in the winter. The good thing about two way's is everyone can hear you, so if I'm checking on what needs to be done, the guys can join the converstaion to say they are in the area or are near the job. The Nextels we have (we just switched to nextel in May) don't have that capability, with out getting charged air time for every "all Call".
    I give myself the smallest route in the center of all my accounts so I can put out fires as they arise. We had our first dusting today, only had 4 trucks out billed over 5k. I'll take a small storm all day over the big ones!

20. danknight60

danknight60 Member

i guess u guys don't remember when you first started out well good luck you big wigs us little guys will keep on trying !!!!!!! wesport

:gunsfiring: