1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No More Float Cable?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ssprtman12, Jan 28, 2014.

1. ssprtman12

ssprtman12 Junior Member
    from MA

So we got a new truck and new blade (no float cable) then got another blade from a different place that had a cable. When i went and asked the dealer that set up the one on the new truck why there was none, he said they dont need it anymore. OK fine, then why the hell doesnt it actually do what the float cable is supposed to do. He said that itll make the headgear fall easier when pulling away from the headgear with one on.. . hey buddy stick to intalling b/c if you have every taken one off, you would know they fall easier without the cable then with it. Is this really true that the new fisher plows dont need a float cable anymore, that they just link the spring to the lift chain doing nothing? I was very confused by this seeing as the headgear with no cables dont go down all the way, and the ones with it do????

Any insight would be great!

2. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

We have 3 new xv2's. Came with just the spring and a quick connect to the chain.

3. That cable has nothing to do with whether or not the headgear falls back when you disconnect the plow from the truck. It only serves as a means to collapse the lift piston when in float position.

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly. Collapsing the lift cylinder is it's only purpose. It was put there for the people who couldn't read the directions and collapse it by hand before removing the plow, thus making it very difficult to re-install.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Well according to your post, you already have all the answers, so why ask us then?

6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

It varies by dealer!!!! Some install the the proper way or the factory way with the fancy cable, others juts tie the spring into the chain link, but they both do the same thing, Id want the cable, I dont llike the look of it tied into the chain link, looks sloppy

7. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

My XV2 didn't come with one.... Just the link and chain... And I bought it cash and carry.