1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No More Di-Electric Grease

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by cobraman, Jan 24, 2008.

1. cobraman

cobraman Member

Not for me anyways. I had to get out of the warm cab of my truck 4 times in the last two times out because the grease was so cold it was pushing the 12 volt power connector apart so the plow quit working. Tomorrow morning it is getting cleaned and lubed with Deoxit. Thanks to Basher I found this stuff.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

After cleaning try fluid film as a di-electric, or did you buy some Detox sheild from craig indus.?

3. cobraman

cobraman Member

I got the Shield too. I used it on my light plugs. I should have used it on the power plug at the same time. Thanks for all the tips.

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I thought fluid film was non conductive and was not recommend as a corrosion preventive in electrical connections? I remember I asked dano about the better terminals and he said to make the connection first before spraying or problems may occur.

Cheers
    Jeff

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The concept of a di-electric is it does not conduct electric current, but provides lubrication and protection from the creation of the feared galvanic salts and other electric atmospheric reactions. To much di-electric will cause problems as well, too good a coat blocks current flow. I use fluid film after i plug things in. It runs in to cracks and provides a seal. you need to do something after using cleaner, it's like sand blasting if you don't prime it was a waste of time.

The cleaner shield is great stuff, try it on you cell phone battery contacts.

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Ah good to know, I thought you were spraying them in the connections but I have never tried spraying after I plug things in. I will have to try it.

Cheers

7. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

lately ive been using vaseline. seems like its holding up better the di-grease..i cleaned out the termanials..then applied..doesn't freeze..doesn't "water" down...and scraps itself clear off the contact when connected for the most part.

8. heh, i had the same problem the last time i was out. The grease seals the two plugs so well that the air can't escape and eventually pushes the two connectors a part.