1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No more 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay so most of you know my truck, 00 2500 6.0, yada yada.......:) I have the push button 4x4 and it decided to quit working this morning. I pushed the button for 4x4, and all the lights on it went out and no 4 wheel. Now my service 4x4 light is on:gunsfiring: I think it may be the switch, but would appreciate other input as well. Thanks

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks Dave, I will try that. It is the cheapest place to start and I think I will give that a go.

4. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Check your fuses and relay first, being a push button, the actuator on the transfer case may have gone bad. If that is the problem, get ready to put up some cash, about $450 for the part.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I will check the fuses and relays first. I hope it isnt the tcase module:cry: Is there any way to scan the 4x4 system since the light is on? Thanks LHK2

6. Up North

Up North Senior Member

just got done with having the same problem on my 1500 Chev. We swapped out the switch first, that wasn't it. Switched out the Encoder motor, that wasn't it. Turned out the ATC (automatic transfer case) module was bad, $421 part. Sucks, but it had to be fixed. This happened days after having to replace the shift lever as something bad went wrong with it, the tow/haul mode wouldn't work.

Good luck with it.

Buck

7. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Ouch! what a bummer! ...I had to replace my 4x4 actuator & that cost me $980 :eek:
    ...its like the sayin goes...: ya drive the big trucks, ya spend the big bucks! lol :jester:

8. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Oh great, hopefully it will be the switch. My tow haul dont work either, but that happened about 3 weeks ago now. This is gonna suck since I dont have the 1k it would take to fix all that crap:dizzy: I guess I will just pull the fuse and relay so it doesnt randomly fly into 4x4. I think this may be my precursor to go to the dark side of solid front axles, lock out hubs and the lever on the floor

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Hit yourself on the head, you've had minimal problems with your truck. Try the fuses then the switch and then go from there. Take you steering column apart and solder the wires back on and they'll be good for another 80k. It's less then a 2 hour job. Stop procrastinating and you'll get this stuff fixed.:drinkup:

10. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

This happened to me last year. Was going to take it to the dealer the next day. When I started it the next day everything was fine! Still is fine a year later. Guess it was like rebooting a computor. Hope this happens to you.

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well I checked it out today, and the 4wd fuse was good, but the one 20amp for the ATC was blown. Put in a new one and all is good for now.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it blew the 20 amp "ATC" (auto T-case control) fuse in the under hood panel it's more than likely an encoder motor issue or a short in the harness that runs down to the encoder motor along the frame.

The encoders will rot and corrode internally as they age causing an internal short in the motor. Motor is easy to change but rather pricey. If you end up purchasing a replacement motor use a genuine GM one. The aftermarket ones are cheaper but are not the best in quality...as usual.

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

That is the one it blew. I will check the harness tomorrow. Is that the one that runs 200-300 bucks?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Unfortunately...that'd be the one.

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Great:mad: Well that will be one item to have to sit and wait then till the snow goes away and I got more $$ in my pocket. Would my best bet be to pull the fuses so it doesnt randomly fly into 4x4, or will it? Thanks so much B&B:waving:

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I would pull the ATC fuse until you get it fixed. It wont go into 4WD all by iteslf but it will prevent you from engaging it and then it getting stuck engaged if the encoder dies while in 4 hi or low.

17. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

You would be alot better with out 4wd then being stuck in 4WD LOL

Tom sounds like a good summer Project

18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Yeah I would much rather just have 2wd than perma 4x4:mad: Just one more thing to add to the to-do list this summer, lol

19. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yea i hear that

20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I was wondering, how much of a PITA would it be to convert my truck to floor shift 4x4?? Or would it be more cost effective to just fix what it needs? I am pretty handy at making and getting stuff to work, so I could try it. Let me know, thanks guys