1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No more 100000 mile powertrain warranties

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Burkartsplow, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/gm-cut-chevy-gmc-powertrain-warranty-60-000-143947688--finance.html?hl=1&noRedirect=1

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

[qoute]“We talked to our customers and learned that free scheduled maintenance and warranty coverage do not rank high as a reason to purchase a vehicle among buyers of non-luxury brands," GM said in a statement.

"We will reinvest the savings we will realize into other retail programs that our customers have told us they value more than these.”
    [/quote]

Interesting that they say warranties don't rank highly, then they go on to say that other retail programs do. But they don't say a word about what those other programs are.

Maybe the new truck purchase will have to happen this year, and a skid steer next year. Hate to give up 40K in warranty for nothing. But then again I'll never run over the milage, I'll run out of time far before I hit 100K.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

GM is losing their ass off.

4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

They can't keep up with all the warranties and ignition recalls, so they had to cut something.

5. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

Truth is- for me I may consider NOT buying a new truck next year - GM ! you are not that strong a name in the Big 3 truck market and about to lose market share - DUH - Dogde & Ford will look much better now

They will say "you can always purchase it if you really want it"

F them ! so much for building brand loyalty from new purchasers - I'm losing some faith for $40,000 - $ 55,000

a repeat of the mid 80's mentality (the customer will not even notice)

General Motors plans to cut its powertrain warranty on Chevrolet and GMC vehicles for the 2016 model year, concluding that its standout offer of 100,000-mile coverage -- in place for nearly a decade -- wasn't a strong enough selling point.

The five-year/100,000-mile powertrain coverage -- once touted by former GM CEO Rick Wagoner as a symbol of the improved quality of GM's vehicles -- will be reduced to five years/60,000 miles for '16 models. The brands will continue to offer courtesy transportation and roadside assistance during the coverage period.

GM also will scale back its offer of two years of free maintenance, including oil changes and tire rotations, on most new Chevy, GMC and Buick vehicles. The brands, which began the free-maintenance deal for model year 2014, will reduce the number of free service visits to two, from four, starting with '16 models.

Both changes were announced in a memo sent to dealers on Wednesday.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...wertrain-warranty-reduce-free-service-199433/

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

now you see to me cutting that 100K mile warranty means your transmissions are not as good . if you did happen to get a few that where bad you deal with it but on a whole looks bad in my eyes . it's saying we are using cheaper material and just slapping them together if you build a good product the warranty looks good 10year /100K but the amount of actual repair from it is less. weather they get new people or not they don't care die hard gm will always buy gm just like ford guys will go ford and dodge will go dodge . as far as being in the big 3 I think they will always be one of them .