1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No low beams on truck or plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JMA1181, Jan 12, 2011.

1. JMA1181

JMA1181 Junior Member
    from Indiana

My lights worked just fine on my truck day before yesterday, plow lights worked just fine 2 weeks or so ago. I get in my truck last night and I have no low beam lights. I flipped the trucl/plow switch, turned the light on and off, unhooked the plow, tried it that way, did everything. At first I had no high or low beams, then my high beams started working on my truck and plow. So now my problem is that I have no low beams on my truck or plow with or without the plow hooked up. Where do I start to find the issue?
    Thanks, Jordan

2. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Check fuses first. What year make and model truck?

3. JMA1181

JMA1181 Junior Member
    from Indiana

It is an 08 Ford. Will the truck lights not working make the plow lights not work either? What gets me is that both fuses would have to blow for them both to quit working. There is a fuse for right lamp and left lamp. I am going to check that but wanted to see if there were any other ideas as well.

4. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

truck light fuse would kill theplow lights also but you wouldnt think left and right fuses would blow. Basicly power will go from a fuse(s) to the headlight switch, from there it goes to the dimmer, then those wires will go to the switch to select plow or truck lights. There are relays involved also but I dont know the specifics for your truck.Hopefully someone else can be of more help. If you can find your headlight relays (check the owners manual) you should be able to swap the high/low to see if thats the problem.

5. JMA1181

JMA1181 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I spoke with the Boss distributor here and also my Ford dealer. When I explained the symptoms, they both said the same thing. The issue appears to be a smart junction box. There was an update released for Ford, of course no one knows about it except the dealers, well some of them. They have to update the box if it isn't fried. If it is fried they replace the box and do the update and it's supposed to take care of the problem. Just wanted to post my findings to this point in case anyone else runs into this issue. The part will be in this week and hopefully it will be fixed. At this point when I do not have the plow hooked up, only one headlight is working and it is a high beam light.

6. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Is it covered under warranty?

7. JMA1181

JMA1181 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Of course not, my warranty is up anyway.

8. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I had a similar issue with my dodge & my RT2; I had one light not working then kinda dim when on brights.
    For me it was the ground wire inside the plow light housing; it had lost connectivity. We re drilled a hole in the housing, scraped away the paint & reconnected the wire & terminal with a screw. Voila!
    hope this helps

9. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I've had the same problem with my Dodge twice now ... no low beams all of the sudden. Twice now it has been a blown TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) at $1000 to replace. They were on back order of course but luckily they found one at a dealer 1200 miles away and they shipped it. We'll see how long this one lasts I guess.

10. JMA1181

JMA1181 Junior Member
    from Indiana

Is there an update for your truck or anything? The guys I spoke with said Ford has released an update to fix the problem. Might check into that because there should be a fix instead of just replacing the box. I'm sure it will happen again if there is no additional fix for it. Luckily mine isn't that expensive, I was told $150 for the box, $38 for the update and I will be good.

11. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I asked and was told that the TIPM has been "updated" numerous times in the past few years and that the problem was taken care of finally. Time will tell.