1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no lights, unless the plow is off the ground

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GreenKingL&L, Nov 29, 2008.

1. GreenKingL&L

GreenKingL&L Member

this is a new one for me, setup worked great last season. I just replaced every relay on the truck side, cleaned and checked all connections truck side, installed western repair harness plow side (one of the pins broke end of last season on plug). Now I hooked up the plow, and no lights come on. I double check all my wiring and controls, they look good. I picked up the plow for transport to a buddys house to get a second opinion, turned on my lights and low and behold, the plow lights work. Set the plow down, they don't. Up they do.

so long story short, my lights dont work unless there is weight on the truck. while its hangin in the air, I can push it up a little farther and they will go off. thinking maybe a sort of grounding issue, but all my wiring looks good. Any ideas???

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Lights are for babies, lol. You don't need no stinking lights.

I would definatley check for the grounds. I would have to think that is the problem.

3. GreenKingL&L

GreenKingL&L Member

lol, yeah, who needs em anyways

just in case though,,,,,

4. GreenKingL&L

GreenKingL&L Member

okay, unhooked the plow from the truck mount, but left the wiring plugged in. No lights on the plow came on. pushed one of the pins back through as if i was going to mount the plow back, and as soon as it made contact (between the truck mount and plow frame) I got sparks at the point of connection, and the lights on the plow came on. So I have a wierd grounding situation from the looks of it, but no idea where to look, I hooked one of my other uni-'s to the truck and everything worked perfect, so I am 100% sure that this is a plow issue, not a truck issue

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Make sure you have clean grounds at both the truck and plow. Check that you got ALL the ground wires hooked back up at the repair end. Get the continuity tester out and start checking for continuity on the bables and 9 pin between the plow and the truck. You definatly have a open circuit somewhere.

6. rpaton

rpaton Junior Member

I have the exact same problem you have, on my plow. I had greased the parts on the plow and truck where the plow unit slides into the truck so I think the issue is there but not sure. Could you let me know if you resolved the problem.