1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No lights on my 7' 6" Sport Duty Boss

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bstout, Dec 15, 2007.

1. bstout

bstout Member

I went to plow this morning and lost my headlights after connecting my blade harness. As I work the headlight switch in the cab from plow/truck I can hear the relay click under the hood but no headlights on either the plow or truck regardless. Even if I disconnect the plow I have no headlights on the truck. All the fuses look fine. The side lights and tail lights all work but no headlights.

Any ideas?

Update: I started testing the fuses and found one that looked fine but tested open on the continuity tester!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  2. pyro29

pyro29 Member

Check for power at terminal 30 on the headlaml relay(s). If the relays are "clicking" but there are no lights on either the truck or the plow it would seem that you have no power for the load going into the relay. Headlamp fuse?

3. bstout

bstout Member

Yep! It was a bad headlamp fuse in the vehicle. The headlamp fuse looked perfect but it wasn't. When I tested it with a continuity tester it tested bad. :dizzy:

When I replaced the bad fuse everything worked fine.

A bad fuse can look good.

You can't tell if a fuse is bad by looking at it unless it is violently blown! :D

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you reconnect the plow to see if it blows the head light fuse again?

5. bstout

bstout Member

I did reconnect the plow and then plowed my 1/2 mile long driveway and all seems to be fine. I think this may have happened from my procedure or routine of connecting the harness with the power on.

I've changed my routine where I hook up the electric plugs with the ignition and headlights turned off. I think the surge from plugging them in with the power on weakened the fuse after doing this X amount of times. As I said before you couldn't tell the fuse was bad by looking at it. If there was a dead short the fuse would have been black.

Just my opinion.