1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no light inside cab controller

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by fast86gn, Nov 28, 2010.

1. fast86gn

fast86gn Junior Member

I sold a 03 chevy and putting the plow onto a 07 new body. I completed the first and second harness, and have no power to the inside control. I have not hooked up the headlites yet, do they need to be? All worked before I removed it but???? Should I have power/light on controller inside the cab at this point? Im using the same harness from the 03. Yes I understand I should buy new stuff, so far I have used this on every truck since 2000 and have changed only a few wires. Anybody know of any specific reason this wont work? Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

With the 3 plug Insta-act system you need to wire everything and have the plow on the truck and all plugged in for your controller to power up.

3. fast86gn

fast86gn Junior Member

Thank you, will continue to sort this out

4. buddymanzpop

Did you have your plow on the truck when you tried to power up controller? I went to move a plow last week, just hooked up power and control harness and had nothing, hooked up light connector an everything worked, I was a bit surprised, I need to look at schematics to see why this is.

5. fast86gn

fast86gn Junior Member

yes plow is mounted, i have not hooked up lights, unsure why you need lights to use the plow, must be some backwoods engineering.

6. buddymanzpop

power wire in cab is hooked up to a power source,correct?

7. fast86gn

fast86gn Junior Member

Yes, power wire hooked up to a good source. Today I went to the local dealer and got 28027-2 and 29458 and installed them, nothing to controller still. I am thinking my module will not work with this set up. I hate to buy a three wire set up now but looking better every day. My module has pn 26135, I had this set up on 99 Tahoe, kinda wishin I would have left it on there! I dont have any of the single wires hooked, brown, pink ??, I tried the 2/7 pin bypass still nothing. If I bought module 29070-1 (3port) would I need anything else? will my current wires work?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  8. buddymanzpop

Module from 99 Tahoe "classic" should be white label 26400, check the fuses in the control harness about 12 inches from the plug where the harness plugs into the iso-mod,make sure they are good, are the connections at the grill good?

9. If it is a 4 port iso and 3 plug insta act system, I know from experience you need to have the plow lights wired and plugged in for the controller to work. Hang in there. We have many experts here who will help you out.

10. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Check your grounds on the wiring,1 to the battery,1 plug in between Harness1 and 2 on the module and another plug in close to the motor relay,there should also be one extra wire on the "hot" side of your motor relay,it's the smaller diameter wire with the ring end large enough to fit the big terminal.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Really you should have went to the correct 3 port Iso and the correct plug and play headlamp harness for a truck this late to avoid the extra adapters/connections etc that cause issues but it's a little too late now and that in itself wouldn't be creating your issue right now anyway. Sounds more like what Arc is onto, missed/poor ground or hot wire or a blown fuse in the harness. Should be checking right at the Iso plugs with a test light and back tracking from there.

And if you do the 2-7 pin jump in the grill connector the controller should power up without the plow connected...unless there's a new problem in the grill connector that manifested from disturbing the harness. Have seen that one a few times. :gunsfiring:

A test light is your best friend.

12. fast86gn

fast86gn Junior Member

I checked the mentioned grounds over a few times. All seems to be grounded using a continuity meter. I have power at the only one side of solenoid, end connected to battery. I have checked both fuses, both are good, both have 12volts. The wires all appear really good shape, not brittle. I have checked #1 iso plug for power and it has power. The grounds between them is connected. I noticed on the directions from the kit, shows port2 is for headlights, mine are connected at 3 and 4 ports. Im thinking my module is to old for the kit I installed. Is the 28027-2 and 29458 for the 04 trucks to work on the 07 and up. If so this may be my trouble, mine is old 99-02 stuff. My friend works at a used car place and he thinks they have a module, maybe wires, he will call me in morning. Of course Im doing this in 15 min to 1 hour blocks between kids bowling, broken foot in soccer yesterday, doctor visits and x rays today, cat scan on thursday!!!!! Any more help would be great. Last day tomorrow, then ordering new stuff. If I get a module 29070-1 and headlite harness 29400-3, will I be able to use the harness that is connected inside the truck to the controller?
    Thanks Again...Tom

13. buddymanzpop

Ports 3 and 4 are the input (for lack of a better term) for the left side and right side headlights, directionals, etc. port # 2 is the output to the plow lights harness. Port #1 is the control harness. What is the part number on your #2 port harness? It should be 26357. The 99-02 modules work on 03 to 07, I have a yellow label in a 04 GMC.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  14. Arc Burn

You will still use the same controll harness,i doubt it's your problem though,did you double check the connections at the solenoid,do you have access to another controll?

15. Arc Burn

Have someone wiggle the plugs at the grill and see if you get anything on the controll,even the light harness,if it breaks ground it won't complete the circuit,you may just need a repair end for the controll harness or a new light harness

16. fast86gn

fast86gn Junior Member

Finally got it!

So yesterday I get up and went straight to the dealer and bought new module and headlight harness. I installed it .....again nothing. A little upset to say the least. So at this point the only thing left to do was to remove the controller and remove that harness and trace the wires. Upon removing the harness that goes into the truck I find the power wire in that harness was torn, must have got caught on its way into the cab. So needless to say all is fine now. I also changed the fluid. I bought this plow used in 2000 and have done nothing at all, so I guess im still happy with it. The main power harness on the plow was having a bad connection and I also replaced that. Does anyone know if I get the newer style rounded plow lites if they will just plug in, with out cutting anything? I also need a cutting edge any one better than the other? The old module and 3 harnesses soon to be listed on ebay. I also have a 28027-2 adapter kit to be sold.....Thanks Again for all your help. Tom

17. fast86gn

fast86gn Junior Member

can some on give me part number for harness on plow that goes to plow solenoids. Looks to have 3 pins inside. Thank you...Tom

18. buddymanzpop

3 pin plow side harness is part# 26359, the Fisher Intesefire headlamps are a simple plug and play installation, just swapped a set out two days ago for someone.

19. fast86gn

fast86gn Junior Member

Thank you again.