1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No light for 4Hi

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by k1768, Dec 9, 2013.

1. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Hi all

Did my first push of the season last night and noticed the indicator for 4Hi does not come on (didn't try 4Lo yet). 4WD does engage, just no indicator. I'm thinking switch maybe, anyone know where it is located?

2007 Ram 2500, Hemi, Auto Trans, Manual Transfer Case.

2. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on if it is manual or electronic. manual is a switch that screws in the top of the t-case. electric it is part of the motor.
  3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Transfer case shifter is manual on the floor. So switch should be up top? Thanks.
  4. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

un plug the wiring to the switch and put in a jumper wire across the contacts ,if your light comes on then you know it was the switch
  5. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

That happened to me no dash light but did go into 4x4.

Put key in ignition
    Hold the odometer/trip button
    Turn Ignition on do not start just turn key on.
    You dash lights will go into a test mode and check all lights and gauges.
    Look to see if your 4x4 light lights up.
    If it does then for sure its the switch on the transfer case.

Easy fix I think OEM switch is $35.00 at dealer.
    its on top of transfer case, use a closed wrench I forget what size but its easy to replace.

Good Luck
  6. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks all! Esp dss for the dash light test function.

I will look into it this weekend/next week as we will be getting a warm spell.
  7. dss56

dss56 Senior Member

Mine went out 2 years ago would work intermittently so I just bought new switch from dealer and 20 minutes to change. I had access to a lift on Base where I work $5.00 hour to rent. Yes make sure its warm and dry to get under the truck. Only problem I had was removing the plug compressing the prongs on the plug to release the connector. Might want to check to see if dealer has in stock i think i had to order mine took only a few days.

good luck