1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No lift or angle.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bossmanwis, Jan 17, 2009.

1. bossmanwis

bossmanwis Junior Member

I have a 9'2" vplow. Pump and motor under the hood. I was using the plow and then it stop lifting. The tank was almost empty. I did heat up the tank incase there was ice in it. I don't have any lift or angle but the motor runs. I have power to the solenoids. I took off the tank and checked the screens. They were clean. Any ideas??

2. Stalkker66

Stalkker66 Junior Member

i had a similar problem today, plow would turn but not raise. motor had the same soun pitch when they hydro pistons were fully up like the pressure was up in the system. i had a blocked swivel hose fitting in the lift hose. i opened the hose and pushed the button for a split second (oil will shoot out like a rocket). then put back together and was fine. probably blocked or ice. this was all after i tried heating it up. that will atleast tell you if the valve body is working. then figure out from there if its the hose or piston.

jeff

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But do you have ground and magnetism at them? Gotta check for all three...

4. bossmanwis

bossmanwis Junior Member

I will check those tomorrow. I will also check the filter in the valve body. Thanks

5. bossmanwis

bossmanwis Junior Member

I have ground and magnetism. I cleaned the valve bank screen also. Motor just runs when switched on. What's next?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does the motor sound like it's struggling/straining when its running...which indicates it's making pressure like it should. Or is it more like its simply "freewheeling" with little effort?

You did recall to fill it with fluid right? :D

7. bossmanwis

bossmanwis Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes on the fluid. Had to double check it. Motor seems to free spin.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you have no functions and the motor just freewheels then you've got no pressure being developed by the gear pump for one reason or another. The old under hood pumps are very basic. You either lost the O-ring between the gear pump and the manifold housing or a broken pressure relief...as thats really all there is in the entire pump unit. I'd pull the reservoir off again and remove the gear pump from the manifold in order to check the O-ring.

9. bossmanwis

bossmanwis Junior Member

I check that out. A boss dealer mentioned the motor was worn out and was'nt engaging. The armature/brushes were worn out. Have you ever heard of that?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Even a nearly dead motor will develop enough pressure to power the wings out as it only requires a minimal amount of hydro force to do so. I'd still be looking for a hydraulic problem...O-ring, spring etc...

11. bossmanwis

bossmanwis Junior Member

One seal kit installed. Checked relief valve springs. Nothing broken. Motor still runs free no pressure. Do I need to bleed the lines somewhere?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Shouldn't have to no, but you can crack the pressure line open at the valve manifold and run the pump...see if you get fluid there.