1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no left-right movement, but motor whines?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by copperdale, Nov 21, 2008.

1. copperdale

copperdale Junior Member

Just hoping to get some advice on an older Western snowplow. Got this plow and have had trouble with the mechanism that moves it. The plow goes up and down just fine. The left and right movement doesnt work though. When you shift it left or right, the motor operates but the plow does not budge at all. I think that the it is somehow pressurizing both the left and right hydraulic lines simultaneously when you direct it either left or right. I say this because it seems like the plow pushes straight out when you move right or left (making it difficult to re-align the pin that locks the plow into the straight, left or right position).

Anyone ever have a similar problem? I am thinking there may be a seal blown out somewher, but could it be as simple as an adjustment?

Thanks for any tips!
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

uni mount ,old conventional ?
  3. copperdale

copperdale Junior Member

The plow is a "Standard" model...pretty sure.
    It is solenoid Isarmatic Mark IIIA hydraulic unit.

4. macawpat

macawpat Member

I am having the same problem

I too have an older conventional cable unit . I was told by a western mechanic that the hoses were both pressurizing at the same time like yours and that the 4 way valve was bad and would need replacing cost was around 400-500. I went on e-bay instead and found a rebuilt unit for 225.00 have"nt put it on just yet will do it tomorrow and see what happens. Mine was working just fine the first day I got it but the next day it would only go up and down???? Good luck in any case...
  5. macawpat

macawpat Member

I found the problem with mine and it may help you. Check the fluid and make sure there is no air in the lower ram rods. Replace the o rings on the four way valve. If that does not do it go to a junk yard or try to find a 4 way valve. That is what finally got mine working perfectly. Good luck.......