1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no leaf springs in the front of the 05 f250?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fredhedd, Mar 26, 2005.

1. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

does anyone know why there aren't any leaf springs in the front of the 05 f250?

i was reading up on plow packages and i saw that in the 2001 - 2004 there was an extra spring added in the front of the truck. i don't see any in this truck and i opted for the plow package. i'm wondering what i got.

2. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

i found out. so ya know, i think it was to make room for a better turning radius and a better ride from up front.

3. soutthpaw

soutthpaw Junior Member

Ford Changes

correct they changed from a leaf spring design to a coil spring design.

4. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

And increased the front end capacity. I was concerned so I bought an 04.

5. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I noticed the exact same thing. I heard it was for improved ride and tighter turning radius.

But, I love having the front leaf springs. I'm sooooo glad I got the 04. I wish the leaf springs were an option on the newer trucks. Just a thought.

6. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

My 05s have a 6000lb front axle all my 04 trucks have a 5200lb.05 rides much better on the highway, around town is still crapy.Also getting about 1.5mpg more with the 05 and 40 more hp

7. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

WOW...Echovalley....That's a huge increase. I had no idea. Initially, I had a bad reaction to the loss of the leaf springs. But I kinda felt that Ford knows what they're doing and maybe it wasn't a bad idea.

Now, that confirms it. I never would have figured the front axle weight would INCREASE by almost 800 lbs. That's awesome. BTW, do you prefer the 05 over the 04? Just curious? Any benefits to either?

8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

well the o5 is a little better [bigger brakes,40 more hp,my pickup gvw is 10500k,class 5 hitch,built in factory brake box,better turning,more mpg,stronger frame,5 speed auto,] :salute: