1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No laughing... Did anyone ever make a mount for a chevy luv?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Oct 11, 2003.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

No I am not joking. I just "scored" a 70s chevy luc (basically an isuzu pup as I understand it) with 40,000 miles, NO RUST 4wd for $200 bucks... Plan on using it as a rolling dumpster, haul crap, but hey it moves, would be nice to have a dedicated backup.

Howard

2. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Howard,
    Way back when those came out I worked for a chevy dealer. (Jim Hudson) I thought I saw a snow-way catalog that had a LUV. I know snow-way made one for a Subaru Brat. Pretty sure they made one for a LUV. Call 'em.:cool:

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Near me a guy has a Western plow rigged up
    on a Suzuki Samauri !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Actually if im not mistaken in the "Plowing with the storm" Fisher history book there is a picture of a LUV with a Fisher on it. I think Chuck Smith had a LUV also if i remember correctly.

Jay

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Jay is correct, I had a 79 LUV. It hated hills, and lacked power in a big way. I will say that off road, and in 4wd, it was pretty much unstoppable. The only problem I see with a plow on one is that the LUV is too light. It better be a light plow, and a light snow IMO. SnoWay definitely made plows for them back in the 70 and 80's. The Sno Ways you see today are a completely different design though.

Yes, it is a Isuzu P'up. Open the hood and you will see Isuzu in big letters on the valve cover.

They use a timing belt adjuster for the OH cam. Mine went, and I had pistons hitting valves :(

It could be a good backup, but "it better be a light plow and a light snow" LOL.

~Chuck

6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Ok I pulled out "Plowing With the Storm" and heres what it said on the page with the pic of the LUV with the Fisher on it. I figured you might like to hear it.

With the advent of the compact ("mini") truck, Fisher moved quickly to adapt the Fisher plow to these smaller vehicles. Fisher himself bought a Chevy LUV truck and was enthusiastic about its performance and the potential it held for homeowner use for light plowing or driveways and small parking areas. As a result, the company pioneered in developing a new "HS" series blade made of high strength steel for a light but strong plow and offered it in 6-1/2 and 7-foot models beginning in 1979. Its cutting edge was made of a very durable polymer material, thus reducing weight even further. It was not made for heavy-duty plowing, but was good for driveways and lighter jobs that could be handled by the smaller vehicles.

I hope this helped :)

Jay

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

70's is kinda old to turn into a plow truck. Plus im not sure the thing would handle plows and would probubly eat a lot of transmissions. You should look for a more heavy duty back-up plow truck. And a newer one as well. :cool:

8. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Age shouldnt really sway your decision to plow with a truck. Some of the strongest best plow trucks around are older trucks with strong old iron running them.

Jay

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Older iron is often more HD than anything made today, that is a fact, not an opinion.

As far as the LUV eating transmissions, that little 4 speed manual trans was very strong. The clutch would go long before the trans. Then again, knowing nothing about the Chevy LUV, and never having owned one, you wouldn't know that the auto trans was extremely rare in those vehicles. You also wouldn't know that the name LUV came from Light Utility Vehicle.

Which is one of the reasons I pointed out that the LUV would do OK, in light snow, with a light plow.

The 1.8L motor only made about 90Hp, and 120ft lbs of torque. Quite unimpressive.

Interesting, it was the first import sold by an American car company with their name on it that was 4wd, with independent front suspension. It also had a lot of aluminum on it, where all the other trucks had cast iron and steel. In many ways, it was a pioneer of sorts.....

Look at new trucks of all sizes. Lots of aluminum, lots of plastic, all the major manufacturers have independent front suspension on some or all models.

~Chuck

10. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

In the 1970's both Ford and Chevy had nice looking work trucks that were solid and both had a 4 spd tranny with a granny low. In 4wd and low, you could push down a mountain. My friend has a 1970's 2wd F350 with a plow and spreader, it might be not a show winner but he's used it for 7 or 8 winters.

If i'm not mistaken, the same tranny ( or a variation) was used until 1988 by chevy when they switched to a 5 spd.

Bryan

here's a photo of a 1970's ford pushing a mountain of snow, the photo was on plowsite, but i forgot who posted it.

plowindrive.jpg

11. LandscapeEscape77

LandscapeEscape77 COPPA Member

chtucker--PLEASE post a pic of this bad boy PUP

I ran one on a farm last summer just when hauling hay garbage or crap around...good little truck..it had 4wd cause i always remembered driving it through the mud with it:drinkup: :drinkup:

12. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Oldies But Goodies

Don't discount a truck just because of age. I've plowed for 4 years with my '53 Willys Pickup/4cyl. 3 speed -- equipped with a 6 1/2 Fisher QS power angle. The guy I bought it from had plowed with it for 6 years. I always ran in 4/low, and when I put chains on the front tires, I could push 12+ inches of snow UPHILL.
    This year, I'm replacing it with an '85 CJ-7 6 cyl. w/ Fisher QS power angle. If the CJ is half as good as the Pickup, I'll still have a very capable plow rig. (Heck, at 18 years old , the CJ is no "spring chicken" either!)

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That was my uncle's '79 F-350 that Bryan posted. That thing was a beast. 460, 3spd, Western 8' and a 9' mason dump.It was only 2wd, but it was a tank. Sold it because it was worn out, plowed since new until the march of 2001, right at 22 years of service. The dump bed was rusting out, the engine had been replaced once, and was getting tired again, had very saggy front springs. But that cable operated Western never had one problem. It plowed through the 'blizzard' of 99 here (that's when that photo was taken).

Don't just assume that because something isn't brand-spankin new that it won't plow snow. In fact, I dont think I would want to put a plow on a brand new $40K truck....

14. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Here's a 79 F-350 I had. It was my first commercial plow truck with the 460, auto, 2WD & it pushed a whole lotta snow. Nothing wrong with pushing snow with those 70's trucks IMO either.

f-350 plowing 100k.jpg

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

This is another picture from my archives, lol

It's my uncle's 1978 K-20. He bought it when it was less than a year old. The original owner ran it in a ditch, and messed up the passenger side. My uncle bought it and repaired it, it turned out to be a beastly plow truck-350 w/ a turbo 400 and an np205.

This was taken in January of 1979, 18" of accumulation and up to 4'drifts. Keep in mind, that's a HUGE storm for us in Illinois...

bobnmichele-plow.jpg

16. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

heres my old iron, being decomissioned this week, replacing it is a 79 f-150 that is super clean and no rust
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

transplanting the motor into the new chassis (400M rv cam 750 holley double pumper, aussie heads)

17. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I have a different perspective about old iron being better. It's definitely heavier but today's modern trucks are designed "smarter". That is, the reinforcing is strategically placed only where needed and given proper design/testing it should last and work properly. Those heavy cast iron NP203 cases sure looked strong but internally they had plenty of weaknesses and broke as easily as some of their alloy cousins. As far as modern truck frames go, I rarely see a twisted bed anymore today. There's plenty of those old iron ones driving down the road half-tilted towards the ground. I believe the factories have gone the extra effort in design and function in supporting a truck to handle a plow when so equipped with the factory package.

18. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Too often these days, durability takes a back seat to profitability.
    Certainly the knowledge is there to build a better truck. The question is, "What actually rolls off the assembly line after the head bean counter alters the design to meet revenue projections?"
    I wouldn't necessarily trust that "quality is job one" with any manufacturer. One the other hand, some of the older trucks were built when "made in America" was a selling point -- not a strike against you.

19. long0

long0 Senior Member

"Way to much truth in that statement"

Howard,
    If you can get a farily inexpensive plow for it, and have the benfit of having it when/if your Excursion goes down, you have just saved yourself tons of money, plus a good reputation. It will take you longer to get everything done when/if you need to use it, but for the minimal expense you have in it now, I would say start looking.

I don't have a clue what a undercarriage for that would cost, but I have a 7' Meyer sitting in my driveway collecting leaves.:D Hint Hint :drinkup:

Andy

20. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member