1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no invoice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Megunticook, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

I called a local guy a few towns over who I'd never met to wing back my drive in February. He sent his son over to do the job on the day he promised. When I spoke to him on the phone I told him to leave an invoice that day (I wasn't home at the time the guy's kid came), or mail and invoice, or just call me and I'd send a check right away. Cost was reasonable--I think he said $75.

In any case, here it is 2 months later and I never got an invoice or a call. I don't have the guy's number anymore and to be honest I can't even remember his name. Do I just leave it for him to get in touch? I was kind of surprised, even if he lost my phone number and address he knows where I live and could easily drop off an invoice. I feel kind of bad, but do I need to spend a bunch of time chasing the guy down?

One thing that makes me feel slightly less bad is that the kid, while he did a good job overall, managed to gouge one of the wooden siderails on the timber bridge I lovingly hand-built. I had specifically mentioned that there was a bridge 12 feet wide, and could he fit his blade in that space. It looks like the kid just got careless on one pass.

Just curious what you contractors think about the situation. I run my own business and certainly wouldn't expect my customers to hound me to bill them...I damn well make sure invoices go out on the first of every month, or whenever the job gets done.

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Perhaps they feel bad about the side rail and decided not to invoice you. Will the repair cost more than the service? It could be they are avoiding you.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if they caused minor damage and havent heard from you then they feel like they got away without losing any more money. they wont bil you but they wont be rushing over to your house to fix your railing... id figure it as calling it even

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep sounds like they dont want to even aknowledge they plowed it becuase of damage done. Fix the bridge and call it even

5. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

OK, I guess that explains it. Kid probably mentioned the bridge to his dad. But why wouldn't they just call up and apologize, offer to fix it, and submit and invoice? It's not that big a deal. That's the pro way to handle the situation, right?

There's not much I can do to fix it short of replacing the rail (it's a 4 x 8 x 16 piece of rough-sawn hemlock on which I chamfered the corners with a router and cut the ends in a decorative way...probably take a couple hours of my time to replace it plus, I don't know, maybe $25 for the wood). I was thinking I'd just live with it.

Guess I'll let it go and not lose any sleep over it. I never like it when people you do business with don't communicate.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have had three different subs do sanding for me over the past few years, one of them is a larger company with full time office staff, the others are slightly more than one man shows, with the office work being done when there is no possible way of avoiding it. The first company bills me promptly within a week, with the other two I try to get a close estimate from the driver, and use that as a basis for my own billing, then I harass the owners in person and by phone until they finally get around to giving me an invoice. I think part of the problem with them is that I am not a regular customer, and my bills tend to be pretty small compared to their others. I can't understand that, money is money, right?

Some people just don't seem to like to take that last step, and finish the paperwork, others just don't keep accurate truck logs, "Oh, I will remember that". And some just expect you to pay on the original verbal estimate, without any invoice.

What it seems to boil down to is that some people should always work for somebody else who will take care of the paperwork, or if they are running their own business, they should hire someone to do the paperwork. I know its lots more fun to be out in the truck, but.... OH CR@P, I gotta go finish my taxes.

7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Per alot of plowers contracts on here, the season just ended yesterday. They may be waiting, they may go through their records and realize the mistake.

I think one of these things happened.
    The kid did it and forgot to tell his dad.
    The kid did it and forgot to tell his dad because he hit the bridge.
    They left you an invoice and it blew away some where and they are waiting on you to pay and are pissed because they didn't write down your address.
    The kid did it and told his dad about the bridge and they think the bridge fix will be more then the hassel and are calling it even.

Take pictures of the bridge, fix it, keep the reciepts and if they send you an invoice either pay it or show them the pics and the cost to fix and pay the difference.

Good Luck

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I don't pay things that I don't get a bill for.

Ridiculous

Think of it as a bonus.

If it shows up, pay it, if not, not your problem.

Trust me, if I did work, you'd get an invoice and you'd get a phone call after 3 weeks if it hasn't been paid to ensure that you did get the invoice (they do get lost in the mail, it happens)

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Perhaps the contractor lost your name/address. It happens. You write it down on a slip of paper or back of an envelope in the truck and then misplace it. When you go to invoice it a month later....where the heck is that address. Then what do you do? No phone #, no address, can't remember the name and it's a summer place so no one is there. I had this happen this winter. Fortunately, I knew who built the house so I called him and got the name/address and promptly sent a bill. A check was in the mail in less than a week.