1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No highbeams on unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BGehl, Nov 20, 2010.

1. BGehl

BGehl Member

Hey guys,

I have no high beams on my unimount. It is on a 99 F250.

The high beams on the truck work fine when the plow is off. With the plow on, the low beams work but not the high beams. The directionals and running lights work fine with high or low on.

The guy at the plow shop suggested it is probably a bad relay or terminal. I just replaced the relays and terminals but it did not seem to have any effect. Same things work, and same things dont work.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Could it just be the bulbs?

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Unlikely both bulbs are bad. Did you replace the headlight relay?

3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Is this plow set up new to this truck?

I have a similar problem on my GMC 2500 with the Curtis plow. The dealer said they make different light kit wiring that still plugs in but doesn't connect the correct wires. He ordered me a new kit that is supposed to fix the problem.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Count your male pins in the plowside plug. Chances are the one for the bright lights is broke.

5. BGehl

BGehl Member

Yes, i think so. I replace the to black square cubes with 5 pins on each. (those are the relays right?)

The plow set up has been on there for three years but they have never worked. I should have taken care of it right away, but only got around to it now.

You mean on the nine pin plug that comes from the plow to join the line coming out of the grill? I count nine plugs on each side and they seem to be in fine shape.

6. BGehl

BGehl Member

So heres to a brilliant wife . . .

I just pulled up the Western electrical schematics and was looking at the old relays that i took off that still had the wiring on them. I just recreated what was there before i replaced the relays. My wife was sitting on the couch next to me. She looked at the relays, and looked at the schematics and pointed out the green and red were switched on the the highbeam relay.

That will do it. I got my high beams back!

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

HA! Awesome!

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I have done so many that sometimes you don't realize it's wrong!

9. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Mmm. Now you have me wondering what's up with mine.

I'll tinker with it when I get the plow on.