1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no high speed blower

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by flykelley, Dec 14, 2010.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

2005 2500HD the highest setting on the blower won't work all of the sudden. Bad switch or that resitor block? All the rest of the speeds work just fine.

Thanks Mike
  2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

I don't know but I got a ford and my switch is stuck on high, must be the week for switches.
  3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The same symptoms occurred in my father's 2000 Silverado last winter. We replaced the blower resistor and all was working well again.
  4. flykelley

Hi Johnny
    I was thinking that was the issue, guess Ill have to crawl under the dash.

5. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

There is a plug that plugs straight in from the bottom to the resistor. That plug is a know problem. It gets hot and melts. The first thing to go is high speed. You may just be able to wiggle the plug. In the end, I had to solder all of the wires directly on to the resistor because you can not buy a replacement plug.
  6. flykelley

Ok Guys
    I just pulled the lower panel, the plug is not melted at all! Is there a way to test the resistor or do we just change it out and hope it works. If the resitors are good then what else should I look at?

7. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

Then I would start off by changing the resistor. It is easy and you will at least rule it out as the problem. It is 6 years old and could stand to be changed any way.
  8. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Just replace the resistor, if the harness looks fine then do not worry about it until you smell it. If there is a need for the harness you can get from the dealer, they already replaced my harness and resistor.
  9. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

same problem with mine, 2006 3/4 HD. #5 speed does not work. havent got around to trying to fix it yet tho.
  10. Gibsonk

Gibsonk Junior Member

On those trucks I think there is a high speed blower fuse under hood in the fuse panel take a look at that.
  11. flykelley

Will do thanks for the tip.

12. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Had a truck come in with a fried harness again. Talked to the dealer and they said you have to change both the resistor and harness to avoid it happening again in the future. We'll see... lol
  13. flykelley

No that is a afct, have changed a few myself, one on a Trailblazer and the other a Chevy Coladardo Truck. Gm makes a repair harness for that, you don't need a whole new dash harness.

14. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

When I did mine the dealer said I had to do the whole dash harness. No replacement plugs were available. I thought that was BS.
    I took the new resistor and soldered stub out wires in to the terminals before I installed it.
    Then I cut the melted plug off of the harness and soldered the harness to the stub our wires. No more plug and as long as the resistor does not go bad while I own the truck, No more worries.
  15. Any NAPA store will have the resistor assembly and the wiring repair harness/plug. It a piece of cake to replace, especially for a GM guy like you FlyKelley
  16. flykelley

Yea Motorman I have swapped a few parts on GMs over the years! Just hate to spend the money to change it and then it doesn't fix the problem. Guess I will just suck it up and try it. The one's that I have changed the wires had heat damage on them were mine look like brand new. Will report back later, first I have to straighten a tailgate and replace the backglass on my 97 Wrangler that the new guy wrecked.

17. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

Replacing the resistor should do it. My Tahoe lost the 5th speed, then the 4th a few days later, and then the 3rd so I replaced the resistor and that fixed everything. The Chevys are easy, did mine in the Auto Zone parking lot. A lot better then my old Ford, I might as well have pulled the engine to get to it! Good luck!
  18. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I just lost high speed tonight on my 2005 Chevy blower motor. Where is the resistor located, under the glove box??? How much can I expect to pay for a new one??? Thanks..
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Be careful though as NAPA only has a single listing for the resistors for the Silverado's and there's actually three different styles depending on the trucks details. Same way with you guys ordering them online, don't be surprised if the new one doesn't fit where the old one was since there's three different possibilities. It's best to use the p/n from the old one to get the correct match.

It's in the bottom of the HVAC box right beside the blower motor. Need to remove the three screws (one is a little tough to access) from the box cover and remove it, then you'll see the blower motor and resistor.
  20. rbi014

rbi014 Junior Member
    from 44131