1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no high beams.....

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Onebadbowtie86, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

Hey guys, i thought i had my install all wrapped up with my new boss plow on my 03 gmc, but my high beams dont work on the truck, or on the plow. It is a pre-smartlight 2 wiring harness so i got the dual burn relay kit required for the new boss lights and wired it per the directions, but still no brights, on the plow or truck. im lost.... please help me!!!!!!!!

Jason

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Did you check the fuses? I couldnt get my lights to work after the install. And it was 2 blown fuses. Before you go nuts check them first.

3. Onebadbowtie86

I checked the fuses, or relays, what ever they are in the controll center under the hood for the brighs and they werent blown........ any other ideas?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Was it a used harness?

The duel burn relay has no affect on the truck head lights so it can't be causing an issue unless you connected it incorrectly.

If the fuses check out good then you have one or both of the hi beam head light adapters plugged in backward. There is an "A" and a "B" side to the connectors. They have to be connected correctly...which for your truck is the "A" side.

5. Onebadbowtie86

are these the little connectors that plug into the actuall headlight assembly or the big black rubber deals with three prongs that plug into blue ends? thanks for the help so far b&b, this is the first boss ive installed. everthing else works very well on the plow though, way faster then my meyer! im going out to the garage right now and will be back in momentarilly, i hope i can fix it!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can't mess up on the black rubber plugs that connect to the blue plastic connectors on the plow harness...it's the actual four rectangular head light plugs that gives everyone trouble.

If your graduating from a Meyer to a Boss you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference. :waving:

7. Onebadbowtie86

They seemed to be hooked up correctly the a side is connected to the trucks factory plug ins. when i switched them the plows low beams were on while the trucks low beams were also on

8. Onebadbowtie86

What else could it be?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So the "A" is orientated to the side with the locking tab? Look at the OTHER SIDE OF THE SAME PLUG. It will have a "B" on it as well. In other words you can connect the same exact plug TWO different ways by flipping it 180*. If there backward they cause light issue such as this.
    Only way thats possibly is if the head light adapters are connected incorrectly. better recheck them.

10. Onebadbowtie86

hmm ill go try that and let you know.

11. Onebadbowtie86

I see exactly what you are talking about and i have them both on the a side on both sides of the truck, must be out of sheer luck, but anyways, ya still no brights????

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check the single blue wire in pin 30 of the end relay. If it doesn't have power with the truck hi beams on then you still do not have the adpaters connected correctly.

13. Onebadbowtie86

ok ill go try that, ill brb and let you know!

14. Onebadbowtie86

The adapters seem to be connected properly, but i dont have power to that blue wire, it seems as if the trucks factory highbeam connector doesnt have power. i plugged the factory connectors directly to the headlights and nothing..... i had brights befroe i started this install and the bulbs arent bunrt...did somewhere along the line my bright headlights get disabled somehow???

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the truck has no power in the hi beam plugs themselves then it has to have some blown fuses.

16. Onebadbowtie86

i checked the relays in the underhood fuse box for the brights and they were fine, i switched the relay with the low beam and worked just as normal... anything else? or are there actuall fuses for the brights? i didnt see any on the fuse block inside the cabin

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well I'd say thats your problem. I'd bet you had the adapters connected wrong the first time you plugged them in and it popped the hi beam fuses because yes, along with the relays there are fuses for the headlights as well. They're in the under hood fuse panel...same panel the hi and low relays are in.

18. Onebadbowtie86

ohhi guess i didnt look for the fuses after i seen the relays, ill go look again, thanks for all the help b&b---how did you get so educated with plows????

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I've been around the block a few times. :D

20. Onebadbowtie86

MONEY SHOT!!!! Your the man B&B!!! These new boss lights are bright!! Thanks so much for the help!! youll be seeing me around here more often!