1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no high beams on 99 and 01 after using one of my boss V's

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by brickslayer, Feb 1, 2014.

1. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

Any help would be appreciated. Second truck that I noticed when (I have the plow off) and need to switch over to high beams the headlights all go out. Think my older boss V is the reason. First thing I would like to address are the trucks and get the high beams functioning and secondly address why that plow would be taking out the high beams. First truck was a 99 dodge diesel second was 01. Thanks in advance to anybody with some imput!
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

I have a '95 Chev with Hiniker plow. Don't use the truck much and almost never drive it at night except when plowing.

Was using the truck (has a welder in the back) this summer. Coming home I had no headlights. After much fiddling and wondering why everything else worked, I discovered I had to turn the switch on my plow controller to the on position for the high beams to work.

Maybe you have a similar problem.
  3. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

what did you get figured out? we've had electrical problems with our lighting and boss plows too…

i would say it's a relay first, fuse second, just from our experiences…if your switch from truck to plow is on plow then NONE of the lights would work, so i wouldn't think that is the problem, but could be if it's having issues

did you buy the plow used? sounds like some wires are connected backwards from the previous owner and it's popping a fuse or something like that…should be fairly simple to figure out if you take it to an electrical place
  4. brickslayer

brickslayer Member

I did figure out my issues. Sorry I hate when people don't complete their threads. Anyways, one dodge has hid's and one of the pins on that cheap connector shorted out. So that truck has low beams working fine. No high beams yet but they are bright enough so I'll dig deeper into that when I have some time.
    The problem on the other dodge was at the headlight connections. I just installed that wiring harness on that truck. Greased every connection and the contact became bad on two of the headlight connections.

So conclusion to having a similar problem is, check obvious fuses and relays. And go over every plug on the headlight connections. I would say especially if you have boss headlight adapters.
    Plow had nothing to do with it.