1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Height

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by D&H Plow, Dec 14, 2007.

1. D&H Plow

D&H Plow Junior Member

Everyone was nice enough to help me out with my Blizzard's height problem, now for the Boss. My plow doesn't lift off the ground very high, actually i can't drive in the v. I have to drive with a straight blade up high. I also think that this is the reason for snapping my spring. Any suggestions. This is my fouth season and it is starting off to be an expensive one. new cutting edge, new shoes, new rubber stop, new smart hitch, new spring,and a new pump motor. I love my boss, just not this year. Thanks
  2. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Do you have any side shot pics with the plow up and in vee... or is the height problem in vee a new issue ??

I too replace the blades and electric pump this season as well...

3. D&H Plow

D&H Plow Junior Member

This height thing is a new issue. I don't remember how high the plow was last year but now it is 3 inches from the corners to the ground. I wonder if maybe i don't have enough weight in the back?
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

D&H, how about more details on your set up. Maybe we can help...

The Boss V part we know.. but what size? RT2? RT3? What truck is it on? Any suspension mod's? Do you normally carry ballast?
  5. D&H Plow

D&H Plow Junior Member

The plow is an 8 2 on a 2004 F-350 Diesel Crew cab with original suspension. I have a fisher tailgate spreader on the back which ways next to nothing but i usually have around 250lbs of salt bags that get used throughout the night. One thing i noticed is that i used to be able to see the top of the V over the hood, now i can't.
  6. D&H Plow

D&H Plow Junior Member

Another thing that might ne worth mentioning, i had to borrow anothe V plow for the first 30 hours of the season. This was an older plow (maybe 8 years) and it rode fine on my truck. I was able to drive in the V over 10 mph.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If these plows are that old then they must be RT2's correct?
  8. D&H Plow

D&H Plow Junior Member

My plow is RT3. My friends was probably an RT2( he did not have the smart switch 2).
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your's is an RT3 then they both have to be RT3's as the RT2's and 3's don't interchange....

If they're also both 8.2's, then for some reason yours isn't raising all the way...Check the obvious things first...

I'd first get it on the truck and raise it fully to see if it's using all the travel in the lift cylinder. When it fully raised it shouldn't have any chrome showing on the lift cylinder with it all the way up....

Make sure the pin holes aren't worn out on the lift cylinder or the attaching ears on the tower or push frame..

Also look at the stops on the bottom of the tower to see if one somehow got bent down..
  10. D&H Plow

D&H Plow Junior Member

The cylinder is being fully used. There is a lot of slop in the plow. The attaching ears you mentioned. thy connect the plow to the light tower?.. There is a ton of movement on that hole. If i tighten those pins up, will i have more height? and how do i do it? Do the springs play any part in height?
  11. JCplowboy

JCplowboy Junior Member

I have the same issue with my RT2 on my 2001 F350 Diesel.
    Remember this is a lot of weight hanging off the front end, I started by adding front air bags. This helped a little, I can maintain the load when raised so to have minimal effect on ride height.
    But the problem still was there with the plow in the V-position when traveling.
    So I have taken to straightening out the blade a little when traveling down the road. This allows me to lower the blade some and decrease the interference of my snow deflector with my headlights.
    Pain in the neck but it works.
    Ford fixed these issues with the new trucks, my Friends 2008 F-350 has a front end you can hang a house on.
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it has a bunch of slop in all the pins and pivot points, then that could affect the height... So will the bumper pad being adjusted wrong (to a point). Wear at the horizontal hinge pin at the front of the A-frame will also cause the wings/center section assembly to be further back toward the truck when in the raised position too...which will put the wing tips closer to the ground.

The trip springs or specifically their adjustment wouldn't affect the raise height at the wing tips. But all these worn holes and pins together could be whats going on here.. the pins are easily replaced but the pin holes are a little tougher to fix. You need to either replace the part with the hole (which would be most of the plow components!) Or you can weld up and regrind the hole to tighten them up..
  13. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

If you goto a hardware store or parts store that has large flat washers ( 7/8 1" etc) whatever size diameter your pins are, get some and then weld them over your existing holes to fix the oblonging.
    It works way better than welding the holes up and reboring them. Alot faster too.
    You can also use them as shims between the sides and pistons to reduce slop where the pins go through. They cost about a dollar ea or less. So cheap and a great fix. I used them this year to take all the slop and fix the holes on my fisher setup. spent less than $20 and as good as new if not better.
    Just my 2 cents worth . Let me know if it helps.:nod: