1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Heat.....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mikelawtown, Dec 17, 2009.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

My bud has a 2001 tahoe 5.3 and canged the thermostat already but still no heat. the truck has 140k and never had a fluid change, I said to him it may be heater core or just a resistor issue, im not sure so i thought i would post it .

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

no heat or no air blowing?

3. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

No heat and air only blows on 5

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

only blowing on 5 is the resistor bad. the no heat could be any number of things.
    1. check the hoses to and from the heatercore and see if they are hot(a laser thermometer works good for this) if one is and one isnt then the core is pluged
    2. if the above is ok then check to see if the doors are closing in the heater vent system. visually inspect it to verify if it is working.

5. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I agree with above. X2

6. danbroke

danbroke Junior Member

should be a vacume bypass valve inline with the heater hoses. In the summer when u use the a/c it shuts the water off too your heater core so your a/c is not workin aganst your heater. Sometimes they can get stuck.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Needs the blower resistor and the heater core back flushed. You can thank the combination of Dexcool and lack of maintenance for that.

8. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i went through all that the other day. while out salting i lost the heat in thr dump, checked everything, back flusned heatercore still nothing. after looking for about 2 hours i found an old inkpen in the vent system that was holding the door to the heatercore open. pulled it out and now i have better heat than i ever have.