1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Heat

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jjfinn, Dec 6, 2009.

1. jjfinn

jjfinn Member

I have a 99 2500 Gas Motor. I cant get any heat only blows cold air and slightly warm air. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for?

Thanks

Josh

2. DHDB

DHDB Member

Are all the fan speeds working and did you lose any coolant (repairs, leeks, etc)

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Probably low on coolant.

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Or thermostat.

5. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Check temp at tstat if you have temp gun. Also check heater hoses if one if more off then other maybe a pluged heater core. Both easy fix. Nedd more info just let me know.

6. jjfinn

jjfinn Member

Just recently had the plenum gasket changed, they were supposed to put a new thermostat in. I havent had any coolant loss, The fan speeds are all working, just blowing cold. I did check the hoses leading to the heater core, the passenger side was really hot and the drivers side was warm. Any more questions just ask I would really like to have this fixed soon because they are talking snow by tuesday night. Thanks in advanced.

7. cubicinches

Does the engine temp read about normal on the gauge?

You say you haven't experienced any coolant loss, but have you actually looked in the radiator or overflow bottle to confirm that it is full?

360 engine I'm assuming?

8. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I would try flushing the heater core then they should be equal.

9. jjfinn

jjfinn Member

Coolant level is full and the temp is a little lower then what it used to be before the repair.

10. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Well my suggestion is very simple.... get a FORD

11. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Im just bustin. I forgot to mention that haha

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

My advice would also be to try flushing the heater core.

13. cubicinches

That's good then. I'd start with the thermostat. If they just changed it, could be wrong temp, or just lazy.

14. jjfinn

jjfinn Member

Alright thanks guys I think i will try flushing the heater core and changing the thermostat. I checked the paper work and they put a 180degree thermostat and it says you need the 192, dont know how big of a difference that will make.

15. cubicinches

About 12 degrees.. :)

Seriously though, it should have a 192 to run correctly. And you'd be surprised the difference it could make in how warm your heat is.

16. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Agree 12 isn't much but it make a difference

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Had this problem last year. Was told is is common for older Dodges for some reason it gets a brown gunk like substance in the system. remove heater hoses and take a hose and clean out the heater core. May want to flush the radiator and use new coolant when done. Took care of the problem on mine and have heard others try the same method with good results.

18. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

just flush the whole system it costs like $70-90 at almost any dealer and if they do it right you can see all this like light brown crap come out then replace the thermostat

and ford guy lol i had a 1997 f-150 that needed a heater core cost more than the truck was worth to have some one fix it and i didnt wanna mess with it lots of work trying to get that dash out and back in right with out messing any thing up or having coolent all inside your truck

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009