1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no heat

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 572bowtie, Dec 5, 2005.

1. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

i have a 95 silverado z-71 and my heater producess a little heat and it sucks when its cold out and my coolant is all top out and so is my overflow as well can anyone tell me what the prob might be like a clgged heater core or what .

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

1.Cheek that the heat controller is really opening the heater.
    2. think thermostat.

3. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

i changed my thermostat this summer, and how do i check for the heat controller if it is opening up?

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are the both hoes for the heater core getting hot?
    Next you need to look for any actuators for your hearer box. is there an in-line valve on one hose? IS it open or closed? Is the door in the hearer box (the one that controls the defrosters, vent heat) jammed shut from sh!!?
    Is air flowing throught the heater?

5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Also is the blower motor working??

6. starfiresx

starfiresx Member

heat

I had this problem with my 91 GMC. About every two years. I took the hoses off the core and back flushed the core with the garden hose. it works great after this every time.

Joe

7. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

i have a 99 z-71 with the exact same problem the blower blows strong its just a little if any heat comes out. could you guys clearify how to fix this problem... thanks

8. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would highly recommend changing the thermostat.

They're cheap and easy to replace.

Before you install the new one, wait til the little lady is gone and boil some water in one of her fine sauce pans. Make sure the thing opens up.....save some headaches in case its defective.

9. Your Heater core is most likely clogged up if everything else is ok. Take both hoses that lead to the heater core off, flush directly with running water through both hoses(1 at a time) You will not beleive the crap that comes out. next time you turn on your heater , watch out, it will dam near burn your hand:yow!:

10. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

hey 572 just wondering if you were able to fix your heater problems?? i just finished flushing out my heated core- a bunch of **** came out of it. did not test to see if it fixed the problem yet(didnt want to wait for the truck to warm up) ill let you know if it worked alittle later tonight after i get home from work

11. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

ok so drain my coolant out andtake them both off do i leave them connected to the truck or take them both out of my truck ?

12. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

ok well i flushed my heater core and i have no teated it yet to c if it works and i did change my thermostat this summer but it could be a defected one but i will let u guys no if that worked or not

13. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

also just a little coolant came out nuthin major like u all said so i not sure if that worked or not thanks for the ideas and if u can think of nething eles just let me know