1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Headlights- HELP!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MikeRi24, Dec 21, 2011.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

My 2006 Silverado seems to be having headlight issues. I was driving last night, and all of a sudden my headlights went out, both at the same time. The high beams DO works, so thats what I used to drive home. Both Low Beam Headlights fuses in the under-hood fuse box were blown, so I replaced them, and I turned the lights on, and nothing. Checked the fuses again and they were blown again. I got the test light out and started checking things. there is no power to the factory harness (I say that because it takes the whole plow harness out of the mix). I DO, however, have power at hot side of each fuse. I figured if I made a small, temporary jumper wire to replace the fuse, that would tell me that something keeps blowing the fuse. That didnt work. I pulled the relay for the headlights, and checked each pin with the test light and NO power there. I recently install a set of HID headlights about 3 weeks ago, but they have been working flawlessly the whole time so I don't really see how that could have anything to do with it. But for the hell of it, I pulled those out and out the factory bulbs back in and replaced the fuses once again, and they still blew out right away. I am completely stumped. What else is between the fuse and the plug that could be the problem, and causing the fuses to constantly blow?
  2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Trace the wires look for bad insulation. Could be the bulbs?
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

i wouldnt totally say insulation,,,,b/c the light wires run through the same tubing. i would look into the sockets themselves. you use the low beams all the time, high beams not so much. so its more likely that the sockets burned out internally. did you try to unplug the lights, turn on the lights, and see if the fuses blow?? if they dont,,might try the sockets if they blow then wiring, or still sockets.
  4. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Sounds like you have a dead short in the harness somewhere. Start looking for chafing in the harnes.
  5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

6. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Well, I think I half-fixed the problem. I traced ALL the wires back and found 2 things: there was a spot in 1 of the plow headlight harness wires where it looks like someone had one of those wire tap things on it at one time and there was a LITTLE wire exposed. This was all covered by wire loom and sealed up so I have no idea how that suddenly became a problem or why there was a wire tap there anyway. But I fixed that, and I also noticed (as someone suggested) that the plugs on the truck harness were really corroded and gunked up with old dielectric grease. So I replaced both of those and then took my HIDs out and put the stock halogens back in. Everything works the way it should now. I'm really disappointed that I had to take my HIDs out, but I still don't think thats what was causing the problem. One day next week after christmas is over and I have some time I'm going to try and hook the HIDs back up and look into this a little more. But everything seems to be working for now.
  7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I doubt it was the HIDs. I have had them in the high beams on my 06 sierra and 04 yukon with no issues. I hope you fixed the problem.
  8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I think you got it with the corroded socket.

What color was the wire in the plow harness that you sealed up?
  9. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

kinda hard to tell. the actual socket plug had so much old dielectric grease caked on it, it was hard to even tell what was going on there. The wire I found I never even really saw the wire cuz it was such a minor nick in the insulation, I didnt really wanna go probing around with anything for fear of making it worse so I just wiped the wire down and taped it up.