1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no head lights on plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by thesnowfighter, Jan 3, 2009.

1. thesnowfighter

thesnowfighter Junior Member
    from alaska

hey throwing out a question i have and old fisher mm and everything works acept the lights when i plug the electrical connection in the marker lights come on and the truck lights disable like normal but the headlights wont come on. if anyone knows anything that can help please let me know thanks.

2. JVRLandscaping

JVRLandscaping Junior Member

Sounds like it could be a bad switch. Try pulling the switch out and put a test light on it.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Its not a bad headlight switch since the truck lights work just fine.

Being that its an older truck and plow you should have 2 relays right behind the drivers side headlight. Need to check that all the wires are still connected at the relays, that you have power at the brown wire at the relays with the lights on. check the balck/orange wire for ground at the relays to start.

You can find the schematics here.

http://www.fishersnowplows.com/publications.asp?cat=261

4. thesnowfighter

thesnowfighter Junior Member
    from alaska

hi guys i found out what the problem was it was the external harness going to the headlights that whole y harness

5. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Glad you found the problem, I was gonna say take a test meter to it and start checking voltages.

6. Lawnboy89

Lawnboy89 Member
    from CT

What was wrong with the harness? I am having the same problem.

7. Crash935

More info, make and year of truck, plow type, harness type, what exactly is it doing and when, new or existing install?

Not trying to be smart here but i see your a new member and only 15 so im going to try and break you in the right way. The first thing you need to do is download the mechanics/troubleshooting guide for your plow and read it. The best thing you can do is learn why it works the way it does. Then using the guide, go through the process of elimination, many of the guides are the same ones that the techs use. If that doesnt work, then give us ALL of the info you can and many times one of us guys like B&B, Basher, NoLead, myself and a few others will be able to point you to right where the problem is.

Now, go grab the schematics, manual, testlight and lets us know what you find.

8. Lawnboy89

Lawnboy89 Member
    from CT

Crash you seem to be very helpful on this board. I recently switched my plow from a 1996 F-250 to a 2002 F-350 using all the original wires with the addition of a seperate light wiring harness that I bought for $150 at my local plow store. It is very confusing to get this thing to work correctly a friend of mine hooked everything up for me I have an appointment to get it looked at but not until Jan 19. There are 2 relays on this harness. I am going to look at the schematics and try to make heads or tails of this wiring nightmare.

One more question, how do I know how many "pin" my harness is it looks like there is a 7, 9 and 12 pin.

9. Crash935

Lawnboy,

Read your reply in the other thread, glad you got things heading in the right direction.

It can be confusing when your new to this stuff. I push people to read the owners manual and the mechanics guide so that they have an understanding of how its works and what the correct terms are. It makes it alot easier to want to help the guys who arent affraid to put some effort into solving their problem when they are finally stuck verses just wanting us to fix their plow when they dont have a clue or havent tried yet.

You sound like a hard working young guy, i wish you luck in this industry. Anytime you need help just give a shout and one of will give you a hand.

Oh yeah, 7-9 or 12? Look at the plow side connector and count the pins down inside.

10. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

aw jeez crash, your so cool! if i ever grow up i wanna be you!

just funnin ya.

this is great advice to new guys. get the manual and see what its supposed to do. its just like reading the book that came with your computer. after a couple of reads it easy. electrical is the most intimidating part. once you see what is going on, its pretty easy. best advice is give all info on plow, truck, controls etc. makes troubleshooting easy.

if less than 7 pins are present you will have problems. 9 is about the minimum

11. Crash935

AWWW, BITE ME, remember, i know where you work!!!!!

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

is this automaticly done when you plug it in , or do you have a switch?

i assume you have the relays.... are your truck lights working correctly? are your brights working correctly on the truck? and on the plow?

13. Crash935

Hes running a relay harness so it switches when you plug it in.

Hes a youg kid whos willing to learn, let him play with it for a little bit, he will get it.

14. Lawnboy89

Lawnboy89 Member
    from CT

Hey I don't mean to bother you guys but I have one more question. I figured out that I have a 9 pin harness, but how do I know what diagram to look at because there are several different 9 pin vehicle side diagrams. Basically how do I know what kind of headlights I have on my truck. I assume the diagrams are different based on chevy, ford, dodge, etc.

15. Crash935

Theres only 2 types of bulbs for your truck, the 2B which is a square glass bulb and the HB5 which has the larger clear plastic lens. You more than likely have the HB5.

As for the schematics, go to the mechanics guide (you did download the mechanics guide right) and go to page 15 (98 and older 9 pin). thats the wiring for your truck for both style bulbs.

16. Lawnboy89

Lawnboy89 Member
    from CT

Ok thank you very much. I am not used to performing work like this but all my local dealers are so busy that I can't get an appointment anytime soon. Anyways, yes I did download that diagram and you are correct it is the 9-pin because I counted I don't know how you know so much but thank you very much hopefully I can finish this within the next couple hours take care and once again thanks.

17. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i threw away a complete set of encyclopedias because crash knows everything!:nod::nod:

he also read the mechanics guide.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  18. Crash935

I don't know everything, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night!

And yes, I still read the mechanics guide!!!

19. Lawnboy89

Lawnboy89 Member
    from CT

Crash,
    I don't mean to bring this thread back but I know you will be able to answer this very simple question that I do not know who else to ask. In the schematics, at the top right, there are two different diagrams for my headlamp type. One says, DRLs: NO and one says DRLs: Yes. They are slightly different and I think the wiring harness itself may be differnet for the two. Do you know what DRL means? Thank you very much.

20. Crash935

DRL = Daytime Running Lights.

You know, start the truck, put it in gear and the headlights or driving type lights come on.