1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no head lights help???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hondarider203, Nov 13, 2012.

1. hondarider203

hondarider203 Member

ok i have surched and not found anything...i have a western unimount 7'6" poly pro on a 2001 chevy 2500hd i have a 9 pin harness with the +/- plug seperate. i replaced the truck side and plow side harnesses and all 6 relays last year and had no problems. i hooked up the plow to check everything and the blade works turnsignals work but no maker lights and no high or low beams i checked both the fuses and the grounds. i also tryied to swap relays to see if i had a bad one still nothing i pulled all relays off the truck and plugged them all back in acording to the scamatic and that got me know where.... any ideas where to go from there do i need to replace all my relays??? any help would be appriciated..

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ok, I think your clue there is the no park lights. your relays get their power from the wire that's spliced into your truck park lights. so if that wire has disconnected, or if your fuse has blown and your truck park lights aren't working, then the relays can't switch over.

3. hondarider203

hondarider203 Member

i will look into that conection tomorrow all my truck lights work fine without the plow and well with the plow to just nothing switching over really

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Check the connection where the relay harness connects to the vehicle park lights. They were a cheezy bullet connector and one of those blue pinch over things. They are unreliable and fail. Cut that out and do a butt connector and heat shrink.

5. hondarider203

hondarider203 Member

update: checked all those conections and all is tight...i dont use those blue things either i use the heat shrink butt connecters... i used my light tester and have power to all the relays so ni think this should eliminate wires and i checked the ground to all the relays also fine all the way around... so where would this leave me? im not sure how to test the relays with a light tester can anyone help???

6. hondarider203

hondarider203 Member

Resolved the relay for the parking lights went bad stuck an old spare in there and everything works thanks for the help guys

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ahh.. so the park lights on the truck weren't working then, right?

8. mishnick

That's good to know you got this one working. Those relay systems can be so difficult to troubleshoot. So many setups, so many possible problems. The iso modules are soooo much easier to talk people through. Anyway "good on you" for fixing this one.

9. hondarider203

hondarider203 Member

ya to say the least there a real pain... and yes one bad relay shut down the hole system

10. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

In order to dramatically simplify the park and signal lights on a plow, I prefer to just tee them straight in to the truck's lights. In some cases, this puts too much of a load on the truck's park and blinker circuits. The easy solution to this is to use LED lights in the plow.

11. mishnick

Jasonv... the point of the relays is to NOT use any power from the original curcuit. The little magnetic coil on the relay draws very little power and switches battery power to forward to the plow lights. At least that's the way it is on the ones I have worked on.