1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no gears

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fireman_31098, Sep 6, 2002.

1. fireman_31098

fireman_31098 Junior Member

the other day, while the truck was rolling very slowly i put it in park, it made that clicking sound and the caught park and stoped. later when i went to drive it i put it into reverse and nothing, put it in drive and nothing, now it will not go into any gear, i checked all the linkage and that seems to be ok, everything is moving like it should. the fluid and filter are ok. the only thing i can get out of the tranny is park and neutral. it will start in neutral. what could be the problem???
    it is a th350 trans in an 84 chevy 4x4, not sure on how many miles this thing has got, but before any of this, there were no problems of any kind.

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

My guess would be that when you threw it up in Park, it either broke something since it hasnt moved since that, or just a coincidence that the pumps in the trans decided to give up right then and there. If you get it checked at a trans shop, and they say its gone, maybe now would be a good time to upgrade to a 400 trans. Mike

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Have you verified that the linkage is working by crawling under the truck?

4. fireman_31098

yes i have. the linkage seems to be ok. nothing seems to be broke there. i can shift through all the gears but it just will not catch a gear, forward or reverse. it will roll and start in neutral. and it does lock in park.

5. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

I suspect the parking pawl, located inside the transmission, is broken. If I remember correctly, the transmission may have to come out and partially disassembled, depending on exactly which part is broken (the pin or the ratchet part are the two most important pieces, of course).

DJS

6. fireman_31098

the parking pawl seems to be doing its job. now it pivts on the valve body with the pin. does that pin connect to somethign else in the vave body? im gonna have a guy look at it in a few days. now im no tranny expert by any means, but im pretty certain that the linkage is right on. does any body know a way to tell if the clutches are burned out without taking it all apart?
    i appriciate any help. thanks

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

There are usually pieces in the pan, oil is brown and stinks.

I remember a similar thing happening to my brother in law's Chevy, it turned out to be a $2.00 rubber part inside, you had to drop the tranny to replace. I'll ask him about it.

8. fireman_31098

thanks. the last few times i have draied the fluid in mine it looks as if i had just put fresh fluid in it. i get dome debris and the pan and filter, but not exessive.

9. fireman_31098

welp. found out last night that the pump was busted. the was a small gear inside the pump broke in several pieces, should have it back in by mon. thanks for the help guys, i think i can get the rest done.