1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no gas gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the eggman, Nov 27, 2010.

1. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

I have a 2000 k 3500 dully with 2 gas tanks.
    My gas gauge quit working. I would think the
    sending unit in the tank is bad but since i have
    2 tanks I am not sure because I would think 1 would
    still be working. I do not know how a lot about how the
    2 tanks work. But I do know that their is no switch
    to change tanks and the gas gauge would read both tanks
    together . Any input on how the tanks work or any thoughts
    about how to fix it would be great.
    Thanks, :mechanic:
  2. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I have a 99 3500 the same way. There is a transfer pump on the frame between the tanks. The back tank is pumped in to the front tank and then to the motor. We have gone through 10 fuel pumps since it was new. Change the front pump and you should be fine. Ours doesn't work any more and the needle feel off in the dash. So we just us the front tank and watch the mileage. Good luck
  3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Same here, watch the mileage and fill up often to be on the safe side!
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had new lines mig-ed on to the rusted off ends on my sensor plate. ( My F-250 ) They replaced the level sensor board. Too bad they put the wrong one in! It would read 3/4 when empty and 1/4 when full. I had sealed the hell out of the sensor ring and had no desire to remove it to get it right. I never put gas in it for 3 months! The Wife could not remember how it worked. She would throw $10 in it every time She drove it.
  5. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

I still would like some more thoughts
    on how to fix the gas gauge.
    Thanks all :mechanic:
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Here's my thoughts on it! They are a crap design period. My 00 GMC has done this since we bought it. Its left my guys stranded and left the repair shop with plenty of $$$$ in their pockets. Its been to 3 different shops to fix this problem and no one can get it right. So far we've replaced sending unit, replaced numerous wires. (there is a set of wires that come into a big junction on the driver side frame right at the end of the cab that has tons of wires to the fuel system, mine were junk) Well the first time out this year and guess what, "hey Brian this thing is spitting and sputtering" the fuel gage read 1/8. So all we're going to do is after about 2 hrs of plowing and an hour or so of salting is just going to keep it topped off and see. This spring its gone! Ive put so much money into this thing that I hate to get rid of it but I just dont have the time to fix it right.
  7. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I have a 02 and the same thing happened to me and did it again I replaced the front fuel pump and unit and now the back quit working my gas gauge only reads full the back tank is full it only sucks out of the front and let me tell you it sucks. Every 100 miles we fill it. I wish some one could get it right and fix it.
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Does the system when it works read the level of each tank? I would think it would be the switch that selects the tank you use or the gage it's self.Since both are not working. You also need to make sure the ground that leads to the tank is good. Most systems ground under the hood and lead to the tank. Check all the wires, might even replace the pig tails that go to the tanks. They can take abuse from ice building up on them and stressing them. Pull them off the sensor plate connection and spray the connections with cleaner and put dielectric grease in them. Make sure all the connections on the system involved has it done. Inspect all the connections, I bet you will find the problem.
  9. auto tech

auto tech Junior Member

it needs a fuel sender its in the front tank,the when the fingers break off the gauge flutters with only 1 and when they both brake it no longer works.
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

What do you mean by "fingers"? Mine originally fluttered then we replaced the whole sending unit etc. and the gage still flutters.
  11. auto tech

auto tech Junior Member

there are 2 tabs on the level sensor that measure resistance as the tank fills or empties and when they break off which they all do it same sender cars and trucks this happens but i suspect your fuel sending unit was replaced with out a level sensor you have to transfer it off the old pump if it was a gm pump(sending unit) i did write sender sry i meant level sensor
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

id keep a 5 gallon tank in the bed just incase you run out and need to get to the gas station
  13. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

Mine 2001 2500HD is doing that. Im thinking its the sending unit? I was sort of working and now fluttering. Checked if it was a ground and its not. So im not sure?
  14. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Some people should try checking parts before replacing them.
  15. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Could also be the instrument cluster . Each gage has a stepper motor and they frequenty go bad.
  16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Had a 88 that did this and that is exactly what I did. (6 gall actually)
    These days you better use a cable lock to lock it in the bed tho or it would be gone the first time you parked and walked away from it.
  17. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Where can I find the Ground wire ??? To check first...

I get sporadic reads on and off ...
  18. damian

damian Senior Member

best way to fix this is with a tech 2 scan tool,you can operate the dash gage and confirm operation,you can view front and rear tank levels and locate faulty sender.if no scan tool you have to do it the hard way,ground each fuel sender and watch fuel gage,grounding each should show 1/2 ground both you get full,if the senders dont work,fuel wont transfer from rear to front.this system uses a fuel module to average tank readings and transfer fuel,it is located on drivers frame rail,this system is not bad to diag if you follow the diag routine in alldata or a gm service manual.tough without the info.good luck
  19. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Still would like to know where to look(find) the ground wire ...
    It is a bit tight to see which is which..
    I'm thinking that may be my problem with sporadic reads (usually after a fill up)..
    Thanks !!
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  20. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

I believe its the purple wire that is attached to the sending unit.