1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No front brakes :(

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Feb 4, 2008.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I don't know what is going on but my front brakes don't seem to work very well at all. The rear locks up becaues of this and you notice that the front doesn't drop at all like it should when the front brakes are applied. I have the ABS in my truck unplugged so that should not be a problem, but, figured ide say so in case it could be the problem....that's been unplugged since last year....when the truck is jacked up and wheels off, you can spin the spindle by hand and it seems like the brakes grab and hold then, just can't tell how much. I replaced the master cylinder and that slightly helped (i needed one anyway) but the front brakes are still not doing anywhere near what they should. The pads on the fronts are at 1/2 to 3/4 so they are fine, however the calipers could very well be the originals. Could this be causing my problems? Any help at all would be awesome......btw, all brakes were bled correctly when we did M.C. change.

-mike-

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Did you check you Blinker fluid ????

LOL J/k

I would check in to the calipers if i was you !!! Its hard to know whats going on by reading and not being there but calipers would be where I would look next !!

Good Luck mike

3. mcwlandscaping

LOL, you won't believe how many people at the school shop we can trick into something like that, or headlight fluid..etc.!!! haha

Calipers will be next, i do believe they should be changed anyway since they are so old...thank you for the response!!

keep em' coming guys!! :)

-mike-

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

did u blead them? just a thought and y do u have the abs unpluggd?

and its obviously not the blinker fluid its gotta be a bad muffler bearing come on now

crap ok i see that u said u bled them. what about the rotors them selfs r they glazed? what type of pads did u put on? do the rotors have high spots r they warpped dose the peddle do anything weird when u stomp down it pulse or anything when trying to brake.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Did you kink the brake line going to the front ?

6. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Maybe the pins on the calipers arent sliding. I would say take the whole calilper and rail off and then push the break petal and see what happens. Good Luck

7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would have to say your problem is the calipers, they may just need to be cleaned up or replaced!

8. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I would check the main brake lines too..... But calipers are always a problem..... Another thing to check would be the brake booster.... Loss of vaccuum to it?

9. mcwlandscaping

KGR, the ABS is unplugged because there is a problem with it that can't be detected...it says that it's functioning fine but really is dangerously messed up, what happens is around 3 MPH (when its suppose to kick on when it is NEEDED) when coming to a stop the abs kicks on and the brake pedal falls to the floor and vibrates, speed sensors were changed and that didn't correct the problem. I never had ABS on any other vehicle and i know how to drive without it, so, it got unplugged and that solved the problem.

Brake calipers and rotors are being changed today after school. A number of you also mentioned kinks and problems with the brake liines, that will certainly be checked as well. I will let you all know what the problem ends up being tonight! Thanks for all the helpful advice as always!!!

-mike-

10. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Mike that is a common problem with chevys. (the abs) You need a new abs comp and GM does know about it and so does every mechanic worth a salt.... As far as the brakes not working it is probably the calipers AND the rotors glazing because of them. The slides lock up on those and if they are original then its a good bet they are junk. I just replaced mine on my 94 because of the same problem. I replaced the rotors also as they were glazed because of the calipers not working correctly.

11. mcwlandscaping

Any idea on how much this computer costs? last i checked it was around 600 for the whole unit, i don't know where you can get the chip separately...just unplugging it worked before, i don't see why that would cause this problem all of a sudden.

Calipers nor the rotors were glazed when i took them off

Update for everyone, we spent a few hours on the truck last night, everything is apart, we decided to do ball joints while we were in there (drivers side needed it bad) so it's taking us an extra night but i think the extra time spent is worth it.

If anyone can tell me some sort of price on the ABS computer if i can just change that, that would be great!

thanks,
    -mike-

12. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

The ABS comp wouldnt cause the problem you are having. I was just giving you a FYI as a mechanic for 20+ yrs. The comp runs from $750- $1100 new. Used about half but no guarantees. Unplugging it is usually what I recomend due to the price. ABS Is overrated on trucks especially plow rigs anyway. Mine is unplugged for the same reason as I can't afford nor see spending that kind of money on something that I don't like anyway.

13. mcwlandscaping

OHH, thank you very much!!! i understand! i totally agree, i don't need abs on a truck...on a car i could see it being nice. I think you are located relatively close to me, we should meetup sometime!!

thanks again,
    -mike-

14. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Hell yea. I am in Hudson right off lowell rd. I am in Nashua constantly. Just not to plow lol. I do Hudson and Litchfield only. Looks like a crappy day tomorrow. 1/2" of ice then going to snow, 3-6" Starting as rain. Looks like I will be salting first. Call me sometime. 660-1629 Ken

15. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Does that truck have a proportioning valve? If so try and push the brake pedal real hard to reset it and then pump up the brakes. That happened to me with an old chevette (My first car.). I replaced some front brake lines, bled everything but they still didn't work. Then my Dad told me to do that and they worked great.

16. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

2 things I have found, with Chevy Brakes.
    First, use ceramic pads.
    they will sqeak a little, but they improve pedal.
    second, the rubber lines, that go to the caliper, try replacing them with steel.
    as the rubber gets older, when brakes are applied, they will expand, allowing the fluid to stay in the line more so than continuing to the caliper for proper pressure.

new calipers will help as well.

JMO
    good luck Mike!

17. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya know i never did understand y they put rubber flex tube on them. i mean i know so u can turn the wheel and have travel. but all the rest is high pressure then at the wheels u have rubber lines

18. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

me either. But as far as wheel travel, if that is the question,

They make an aftermarket flexible steel line, that is high pressure, to fit it..
    I replaced them on my chevy, and I thought it made quite a difference.

19. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

be careful with the ceramic pads. I know for a fact certain manufacturers specifically state that ceramic pads shouldn't be used even though they are made available through the aftermarket by Wagner and Raybestos. I haven't ever heard of any trucks that have specified not to use them but I know Cadillac has that note and it causes the vehicle to have POOR brake performance.

20. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?