1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No DRL or low beam headlights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jokerace, Dec 5, 2015.

1. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

Hi Guys I have a 1997 GMC K2500 with an 8 foot Western unimount and I keep having issues with the DRL's not working and when I turn on the Headlights I do not have low beam but if I turn on High beam they work. Any ideas what would cause this? This is one of those issues where they do not work today but might work fine day after tomorrow! New sealed beam headlights and checked them by hooking factory harness back up worked fine Hi and Low. Tried another relay on the low beams and still nothing. Any Ideas greatly appreciated thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you try the proper 5 pin relay and installed the wires in the proper pins? For the plow relay I mean

3. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

On my 94 gmc the high beam switch was faulty and caused the low beams not to work but if you hit the high beam switch then they would come on because the low beams go through the high beam switch no matter if its on or not . hope that makes sense .

4. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

Yes I had the wiring schematic out there and went over it a few times all looks to be in right spot.

5. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

Yeah I was wondering if that could be the cause of it looks to be origanal switch so I will replace tomorrow and see I hope it is that simple. lol

6. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

I am not worried about the DRL not working with them out and the low beams out was worried that they were tied into a bigger problem Thank you for the replys I will let you know after I replace the Headlight switch if it was the problem. Thnx again!

7. dieselss

If you plugged your truck harness back in, and the lights worked like normal I doubt it's the switch.
    With drls, you need to have an "ignition" hot in place of the parking light input

8. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

Yeah your right lol I was not even thinking on that this thing has me mentally exhausted I tell ya.

9. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

Well fellas I ordered some new Plow harness relays cause I am not real sure how to test them! Not bad having extra ones anyway I guess I am gonna tinker with it a little today just to try and rule some things out.

10. dieselss

The relays are really nothing special. Just 5 pins and having the 87a pin in the center. Any auto parts store should have them. Typical "fog" light relays or "auxiliary" lighting relays

11. jokerace

jokerace Junior Member

Yeah I ordered them already I did go out and clean up some connecters but before I did that I plugged into my plow and nothing was working except High beams there as well so I unhooked the plow and cleaned some receptacles and now everything is working as it should. Unbelieveable I wish I would have checked them as soon as I unhooked the plow to determine if it was just a relay sticking if that is possible or not or if it was dirty receptacles. I really appreciate your input that you have given me and hope you have a great day.