1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Oct 26, 2005.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well today I turned down my 50th driveway.
    I didn't even advertise this year all my ads say "no driveways" still get the calls.People are getting desparate they had the same person for years no more gas prices I guess today gas was 2.70. I used to do them but the towns are cutting back on o.t. for plowing but you still have to go out at a certain time to get done. so then you have to go back clean out the ends .But my family is glad i don't do them any more.:)

2. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

So you passed up 50 driveways...

Why wouldnt you expand your business if you have 50 people beating down your door... Buy another truck or 2 plus drivers... Sub it out... Doesnt make much sence to me... Maybe i am missing something. Enlighten us...

All_Clear

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

50 driveways, wow I would be happy to get 50 calls for estimates.:rolleyes:

4. grandview

Sorry just trying to keep it short.The guys from Buffalo understand in this area we have a lot of older people living here and they always did their own driveways and they would shovel it every hour. Now that they can't do it anymore they contract out for plowing they think you should be at their house every hour plowing or they think your ripping them off. Even when you explain to them how things work and show them the contract they still call wondering where you are.I had one lady tell me she only needed her drive done for sure on sunday for church.But starting nov.1st she would call every sat.night with her travel plans for the week.I kept telling that her drive would be done whenever there was 2ins. or more.Another women told me she didn't even have a car but then it would snow during the night and their would be messages on my phone at 5 am wondering where i was because she said someone might becoming over.You explain to them their drive will only have no more then 3ins. of snow at anytime when its snowing but because the towns are cutting back on the ot the roads sometimes have 4-6ins. of snow in them. So now i do all commercial and its makes me happy because i don't have worry about going back to clean up all the aproches because the town decided to widen the roads. Last thing around here you get 275-400 for the season and thats unlimited plowing.

5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I find it amazing that you would count and keep track of how many driveways you turn down.

All_Clear..... Sense

If there is a large demand for driveway plowing...Prices should be raised up.

There is not much I will turn away. Only jobs that get left behind are the ones who don't accept price, cannot sacrafice your profit margin unless you are in slow times.

6. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I do a lot of drives and I can sympathize with GV. When a storm ends around midnight everything's cool, no cars on the road and everyone is done by dawn. When it stops snowing at dawn my phone rings non-stop! Once I had an elderly person wanting to get done first, doctor's appointment. Fine, except THERE WAS 2 FEET OF SNOW ON THE GROUND!!! Their F'N doctor wasn't even open!
    See, here It's the opposite (then Buffalo) problem. The State crews keep ahead of the storms so everyone wants out first. Even though all businesses are closed!:gunsfiring: :dizzy:

7. grandview

Just a post script,
    I hope I didn't sound to much like a d**k .
    After 20 yrs. of plowing i 'am just trying to slow down a little bit.
    I love to plow I get a kick out of pulling into a parking lot that looks bombed out then leaving it with nice crip edges before the first car pulls in for work.
    I resigned everybody at the end of aug.I have one customer who told me she dosn't even wear her boots to work because she knows the lot will be plowed no matter what time she gets there.
    Even after all this time i still can learn new things.
    So sorry again.

thanks

8. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member