1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

no drill/clamp on auxillary light mount?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by kurtandshan, Jan 5, 2011.

1. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Does anyone know of a decent no drill/clamp on light mount? I rarely need more light to the rear and I have an inexpensive cig plug flood light with magnet mount. Problem is, no decent flat spot to place the light(Bumper covered in plastic) bedrail plastic etc.
    I am looking for a mount that clamps on a bumper or something.
    Thanks...

2. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

make one that goes in the hitch, or buy a backup buddy they are a sponser on this site and give a discount to members

3. kurtandshan

Problem is, I have no clue how to weld and don't have a welder. I am not looking to spend more than a few dollars because I rarely need the light. Thanks for the input though.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Try a stake pocket anchor. Just remove the eyebolt and bolt the light bracket to the anchor then mount the light. Your looking at maybe 10 dollars all said and done. Here is how I have mine anchored down. You can see the actual bracket on page 2 post 33. I found those at tractor supply. They work better than the rubber ones because the stake pockets on my style truck are larger than the classic gms (88-99)

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=109569&page=2

5. kurtandshan

Thanks!! I may even a couple of those around here somewhere!

6. kurtandshan

I do have one issue though. I plow with a tonneau cover on and it covers the stake pocket... Looking at one of those receiver steps and mount lite to that. What do you think ?

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Your other option is a back up buddy. Or you could mount it under your bumper somehow. Maybe even unbolt a bumper bolt and bolt the light in place of that bolt just for the season.

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You could just mount a regular rubber work lamp to a magnet, I've done that before, it works nicely.

9. eskimoplower

eskimoplower Junior Member

Bumper has holes already

On our dodge 1500, the previous owner replace the stock bumper with a steel after market one and there were holes already drilled on the bottom. I mounted 2 35 watt aux lamps and they work great. Just high enough to miss snow banks and they pivot up in case we go too far back.

10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

The stake pocket is one of the best ideas for seasonal use, but you could also use a reese insert, NO BALL and mount a singal light using the empty 1" hole, just throw together some nuts, spacers and washers so that the light don't move around in the hole.
    good luck

11. MogMan

MogMan Senior Member
    from Qc

I've been using those clamps to secure my Hella Megabeam to the back of my blower.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hella-Cibie-Bosch-Lucas-Fog-Driving-Light-Clamps-NEW-/270688761535?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f064eb6bf

Works great, was worried that it would not be strong enough but the work light is still there.

It held up to a lot of vibration (PTO blower), Quebec roads and a short wheelbase Unimog.

I would therefore recommend those clamps

clamps.jpg

worklight.jpg

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Here is what I came up with on paint. Its just simple 2 inch square stock. You'd only have to drill 2 holes in the piece of square stock for a pin and a bolt to bolt the light to the piece of steel. The yellow in the pic represents the light output and then black dot in the yellow is a bolt.

I can't get the pic to resize, but you can kind of see hat I mean.

paint.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  13. kurtandshan

Thanks! That I might be able to fabricate!

14. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I was just thinking about it, Lowes has a back up light that plugs into ur 7 pin trailer plug, providing you have a 7pin plug

Not sure how much or how well it works cause im willing to drill holes to mount lights to make my job easier for me.

15. kurtandshan

Mogman!!!! Thats EXACTLY what I had in mind!!!! Awesome!!! I'll look those up
    Thanks.

16. MogMan

MogMan Senior Member
    from Qc

they don't look solid but they are.

You bolt your fog to the clamp and then you clamp it on the bumper (near the tailgate).

It has tilt adjustment too.

They are pricey but they were the only viable option I found.