1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No defroster

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dzrick, Nov 14, 2007.

1. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

My heater and fan work great but nothing changes when I select defrost.

Can anybody tell me what I should be looking at?

Is this by chance the controller? If so is it something I should tackle myself?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rick

2. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Almost forgot, it's an 88 Silverado if that makes a differance.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A repair manual may have the check out procedure for the switch and that part shown.
    If it does not go into it go to the library and look at a pro manual on the truck. Most large libraries have the Motors repair manuals some where.

4. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

I will see what I can find, thanks.
    Rick

5. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

look for a broken vacum line under the hood or dash also there might be a flap jammed in the heater box

6. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Do you by any chance know where this vaccum line starts and ends?

7. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Mine hafd the identical unit with the identical problem.

Turned out to be an arm that attaches up above the acuator there. It comes off the connector really easily. Try and get way up in there with a flashlight yours may be the same.

8. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Thanks, I'll check that out.

It's not my dd so I'm a little slow to get around to working on it,

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

chaz probably has the answer for you :)) ) Check the actuator over near the throttle pedal.. it has a small linkage that goes between the actuator and the defrost door that likes to break off. A flash light and a good set of eyes and you will be able to see it if it's not connected..

Btw, The HVAC controls on an '88 full-size are all electric and/or mechanical...no vacuum at all.

10. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

I truely hope Chaz is right, I replaced the heater core years ago and didn't much care for that job. It was a PIA getting that back together:

11. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

B&B is the one who steered me in the right direction....My big fat paws wouldnt fit up in there so I had my Father-in law with his little hands reach right up and reconnect er'.

Worked like a Charm?

How in the heck does a charm work anyhow?

I bought a charm bracelet for the old lady and we still aint hit the lotto yet......:cry:

12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Ok, figures, I tore the heater box apart on mine this summer and couldnt figure out why things wouldnt change and it was the EXACT same problem.. Now my question is, does anyone know where to get the plastic clips for the linkage? my lower one is missing.........

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try the GM parts counter at a dealership. I have had them just give me something like that. It's not worth the 50 cents to print the Dealers embossed invoice. It would help if you knew what it looked like. They probably have a box with all the clips known to God / GM in it. They may even carry it in the HELP parts line at auto part stores.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's a very very common problem on them as the truck gets some age on it...

Gm dealer will have the replacement clip....but I've fixed them with a wire tie before.