1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No dash/tail/parking lights after install

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Twixster, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Twixster

Twixster Junior Member

I just got a new Snoway 22 series installed on my 2003 Ranger on Friday (the dealer did the install). I didn't drive it over the weekend so I just realized yesterday that my parking lights, normal tail lights, and my dashboard lights aren't working. I've turned the dimmer all the way up until the dome light comes on and no lights in dash (heck I drove home with the dome on so I could see the speedometer). I think the clock normally dims too when I turn on the lights but it doesn't change anymore. I do still have head lights, turn signals, and break lights. Is there anything simple that I could check to try to get it to work? I emailed the dealer yesterday and today but she hasn't responded yet so in the mean time I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Hello and welcome to Plowsite!! I cannot diagnose your issue but just wanted to welcome you and compliment you on your equipment choice. My Ranger/Sno Way 22 is a great combo and once you have that issue figured out you will be very happy with the setup. Good luck to you!!!

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Doug,

Welcome to the site. Do the vehicle lights operate normally when the plow is off the vehicle?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could be the wrong/bad adapter or improper harness

5. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Doug,

Thank you for purchasing a Sno-Way Snow Plow. We appreciate your business. I am the DSM for the State of Indiana. Please let me know if you don't hear from your Sno-Way Retailer by tomorrow. I would be interested in knowing who your retailer is. You can send me an e-mail @ rick.knuth at snoway.com (replace the "at" with @ to send e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you.

6. have you checked your fuses?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes, it is EIS, it could be the fuse.

I was lost in the old style relay system and was thinking it couldn't be a fuse because the headlights worked:blush2:, and they wouldn't without a signal from TM.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  8. Twixster

Twixster Junior Member

the plow is off the truck

I actually noticed the problem when the plow was off the truck. I haven't put the plow back on to check to see if they work with it on (******** Indiana weather didn't give me the chance to try that last night). I would imagine though if it doesn't work with the plow off it's not likely to work with it on but I certainly will check. The two light harness cables for the truck are firmly connected to each other. I've disconnected them and reconnected them and it's still the same way. I haven't checked the fuse yet and that's a great idea. I'm pretty sure they had to disconnect the battery to hook everything up so it might have lost a fuse in the process.

9. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Check your fuse for the parking light circuit. This would be the most likely cause. You instrument lighting is run off of that circuit even though it is individually fused. If I remeber correctly, the park light fuse should be a 15 amp and you istrument fuse should be 5 amp. Hope this helps.

10. Twixster

Twixster Junior Member

I think it's a short

I bought a fuse tester and tested the fuse. It was indeed bad. I bought a new fuse 15A mini, tested it, installed it, tested it again to make sure. As soon as i turned on the parking lights i heard a very small crack sound. I knew already that the new fuse was now dead too but I checked it again anyway. It was dead. I'm thinking there is a short someplace on one of the wires. I checked under the truck but those wires were all in a plastic sleeve so i didn't mess with them. I pulled out the head lights and looked around for any visible damage but didn't see any on any of the wires visible from there. At this point i think it's just something the dealer is going to have to troubleshoot and fix. That's why I bought a new one and paid for installation, so I wouldn't have to do this exact type of scenerio. I was hoping to take it out on the maiden voyage tommorow night, since we finally have snow coming to Indy!, but with no tail lights it's probably not going to happen. I'll at least do my own drive just to get to use it :)

Thanks for the help,
    Doug

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Find the brown wire from the EIS plow harness disconnect it from where it's attached to the vehicle. That should stop the fuse blowing if it's plow related. you will not have parking lights on the plow, but will have your truck dash and taillights and you can go plow snow!

12. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it, you paid for the install no sense in beating your brains trying to figure it out.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I agree completly but if you need to use it in the meantime...

14. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I agree too but he did not say if he needed it, i guess if i had paid somebody i would have taken it back right away, anyway i hope he gets it figured out before he really needs it.

15. Twixster

Twixster Junior Member

Fixed!

Thanks for all the help. You guys picked out the issue as a fuse problem which lead me to believe it was a short after i replaced and blew another fuse. The brown wire was a little different shade of brown up at the light vs down at the light harness connector so in fear i clipped it up at the top near the parking light. It didn't fix the issue but when i got it into the dealer they fixed that clip i made and from there they could see the nick in the wire that was causing the inital problem. They fix that too and we just switched out the fuse and it works like a champ again.

Thanks,
    Doug

16. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Doug,

Glad to hear that you got it taken care of.