1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No Cutting Edge?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by TAZPUSHER, Jan 23, 2009.

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

Just bought 8' skid steer plow,noticed it didn't have a cutting edge. Talked to my dealer,he stated it was an option...... I've had snow plows since the 1960's,never had one come with a optional cutting edge.....Anybody know what's up? I've owned Boss plows since the early 90's and have 6 on trucks now. Is Boss getting to big to think that other plows can't touch them,and can do what they want and we'll follow along? Any other thoughts out there?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Never heard of a cutting edge being optional :dizzy: So you're just expected to wear down your moldboard if you decide to forgo the edge? That's nuts...
  3. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

yup, time to put your dealers money where his mouth is and bring it back, its not worth dealing with the headaches, I just dont like being ripped off, that is like buying a new car with no tires, wtf, right??
  4. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere that some manufacturers were listing cutting edges as options in order to lower the weight of the blade. That way it would slide under the weight restrictions of more vehicles.
  5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

That is just wrong would that plow fit through the dealer's front window without the cutting edge ? WTF

take his plow back if you didnt use it hope you paid it on a card just in case they give you hard time
  6. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

The BOSS skid steer trip edge comes in a full height cutting edge (the trip edge) to begin with. As the original edge wears down (like a normal cutting edge), you can then add a new cutting edge onto the bolt holes. This way you do not have to replace the trip edge which is much more expensive than a standard cutting edge. We added a cutting edge to our skid steer plows from day one providing 1" total cutting edge for increased wear life. One thing I would recommend is to add either wings or curb guards to protect the trip edge pins from wearing through and ripping off the trip edge in the middle of the night. Also watch for wear on the bottom of the trip spring brackets from operator error as they can position them to rub on the pavement... Overall, you will absolutely love the BOSS skid steer blades!
  7. knowsplows

knowsplows Junior Member

Yeah, as Deckscapes said, a Boss Trip Edge Plow comes with a "base angle" that is the cutting edge. When it wears, you add the optional cutting edge. This is not a full trip type plow. A full trip moldboard obviously has to have a cutting edge. Don't get upset, this is always the way the trip edge blades were sold, and I believe Fisher and Diamond are the same way. It's been a while since I dealt with a new Fisher Plow.

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

No Cutter Bar

Have used it quite a bit this winter so far, noticed a lot of wear on bar unit, that's what brought it to our attention....We lot the plow and are adding removable side shields to use as a box plow also, mainly to push lanes out around cars....We are also having a problem with side to side float....you angle tne blade and the ends of the plow are 2 inches off the ground...We have in the shop now taking it apart to see what's up, talked to our dealer and he doesn't know.....Anybody have any ideals?
  9. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Your operator is probably putting too much down pressure on the blade from the skid steer.
    I train my operators to set the blade down to when it just taps on the surface. I get so sick of seeing skid steer operators thinking they are piloting the space shuttle with the front wheels 12" off the ground.
    For the side-to-side float, remove the skid steer blade from the machine and slightly loosen the 2 large hex bolts on the back side of the mount tower, then apply some grease to the grease zerks. You will have to play with it slightly to achieve a happy medium of swiveling too much and not enough.