1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

No control at joystick, power indicator on

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by whiskeyjack, Dec 3, 2013.

1. whiskeyjack

whiskeyjack Junior Member

The lights work fine but the joy stick stopped working with the power indicator light still on. It's an older plow but in good shape.

I tried cleaning the terminals on both plugs and re-plugging. Nothing but lights. I also taped the joy stick in the raise position while flexing the main terminal plug. When I did that the lights flickered between plow and truck and I heard a clicking sound from the plow's solenoid(?) mounted just behind the grill. Can anybody suggest a troubleshoot protocol? If I have to transport the plow anywhere, is it ok to jack it up and take up several links in the chain on the support boom?

This is my first plow truck and first time plowing with it so this is an educational event.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

First off it is fine to short chain the plow, most of us have done it some point.

What pump?

Do you here the motor running?

Do you here the solenoid clicking?

If so, do you have power out of the solenoid?

3. whiskeyjack

Thanks for the response.

I'll check on the pump model.

I do NOT hear the motor running. I DO hear the solenoid clicking but only when I flex the main 10-pin plug.

4. kimber750

Tie off control in raise. Tap the motor a few times LIGHTLY. See if that goes anything. Stay clear of plow.

Another thing to try is take a set of jumper cables, hook to plow motor, then touch other end to battery. Stay clear of plow.

5. whiskeyjack

I did tie off the control earlier and tried to 'hot-wire' the motor. I'll try it again. 'Hell of it is I was only half done.... There's another foot or so on the way.

6. kimber750

If you are connections are clean and making good contact and you already tried to "hot wire" the motor it is most likely a bad motor. Do the lights really dim when try to move the plow? You can also use a small screwdriver to spread the male pins in the connectors. But still thinking your motor died.

7. whiskeyjack

OK.

The number on the motor says B1096758.

With the joystick tied forward (lift) the motor whines when I touch its hot terminal. The plow jerked a couple times when I did this but did not rise. Once, after releasing the tied off joystick, the plow released tension. But, the chain remains tight.

8. kimber750

Wanted you to use jumper cables on both positive and negative. This bypasses any bad connection in the harness. Put control up so you have less of a chance of the plow coming at you.

9. whiskeyjack

OK. I'll be right back. It's tough to get a grip on the motor's negative terminal.

10. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

if motor runs when hot wired but plow don't move with joystick up would say it may be circuit board in controller. what you are hearing when lights change from plow to truck is the lighting relays kicking on and off. will happen if you move plug a lot and lose connection. do you have power at selonoid control wire when you raise plow? do you have power at valve block when you raise plow? I have had to replace a few circuit boards. older westerns are pretty simple look up scematic. I have jimmied a set of toggle switches in the past to get thru a snow fall

11. whiskeyjack

Bad solenoid to the plow motor. All fixed. $77.

Thanks so much to all who posted in my hour of need. :)
    Ten inches of snow by tomorrow evening. Yeehar!!